PDA

View Full Version : A Question of Genre

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Feacus Fidelle
July 24th, 2002, 10:23 AM
In about a week or two I'm planning to submit another story, but this one takes place here on Good Ole Planet Earth in a modern-day city. Nothing preternatural occurs so it really doesn't fit under the genres of science fiction or fantasy. Is it still ok for me to post it (after all, "A Mother's Affection" was allowed ;))?

Feacus Fidelle
July 26th, 2002, 10:11 AM
Erebus? Administrators? Anyone? Hello?

Erebus
July 26th, 2002, 11:12 AM
Sorry, Feacus, I must have missed this one. By all means submit your story. If you feel it doesn't belong in any of the genre categories, then just select other for the genre.

Again, my apologies for the delay in responding. :)

Feacus Fidelle
July 26th, 2002, 02:25 PM

Sonja Ravenscroft
July 29th, 2002, 10:31 AM
I have to wonder if Neil Gaiman, when writing Neverwhere, had the same problem, I could see the discussion now-

Publisher: Well, is this Sci Fi?
Gaiman: Ah, no.
P: Fantasy?
G: not really if you mean dragons and such...
P: Supernatural?
G: Well, kinda...
P:Wolves? Vampires? Ghosts?
G: Er...no.
P: What type?
G: Its about people living in the subway system, not mutants or anything, just...different.

*L*

I was reading a book that was talking about Genre, and Science Fiction, and there are really SO MANY Sub-Genres of Sci-Fi/Fantasy nowadays, from Hard core SCIENCE fiction, to Dragons, To Cyberpunk, to Supernatural, to some that don't HAVE a niche. It's fascinating, really.

I look forward to reading your story and getting an idea of what you've written :)