PDA

View Full Version : Post-apocalyptic/tank/cyborg

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Faust
November 28th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Had this book stuck in my head for a while. It's about a guy, who drivers some kind of supertank/car, which he controls with his thoughts (or something, he puts some kind a helmet on to drive it). It's all happens in some kind of post-apocalyptic world, there are russian mobster and some kind of liquid crystal drug.

And some guy that fixes guitars is in it as well.

Writer is someone pretty famous I think.

Hitmouse
November 30th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Sounds a bit New Wave.

One of the later Jerry Cornelius stories?
Drugs, guitars, mobsters, post-apocalyptic settings all fit. Cannot remember super car/tank off the top of my head but would not be surprised.

expatrie
December 1st, 2010, 09:31 AM
This isn't Hardwired mixed with something else? The Russian bit sounds maybe, the crystal drug definitely, but it's not quite post-apocalyptic, more post-earth. All the cool people are orbital, only the scum live on earth. It's all dirty....

Not sure about the fixing guitars part, but it could be Jerry who shows up later in the book.

Hardwired (http://www.amazon.com/Hardwired-Walter-Jon-Williams/dp/0812519175).

--Brian.

Faust
December 1st, 2010, 11:49 AM
It's Hardwired, I probably added some stuff from something else but Hardwired is the one I though off.

Thanks for help guys. :D

Jim diGriz
December 1st, 2010, 11:53 AM
Could be Leo Frankowski's A Boy and His Tank. It has cybernetically controlled tanks and I believe the characters are Polish and Serbian which you may remember as Russian but it's been a while since I read it and don't recall anything about the drugs or guitars.

Edit: Oops, I should type faster. Okay, glad you found it.