PDA

View Full Version : Help Juvenile Books of the 60's or 70's

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

royalwolf
November 29th, 2010, 09:57 PM
I am looking for help in finding the title and or author of two books that I checked out as a 5th grader from the public library in 1975. These two books made me a science fiction reader for life and created an interest in science at school for me. On with it.

The first book had a green cover with a picture of an alien
spaceship and a lizard like alien. The story had the main character a young guy, his girlfriend, and some other people from their town. I think a sheriff or deputy also. They are abducted and taken by these lizard men to their home planet. They then are put in labor camps or household servants. The main character befriends some of the aliens in te labor camp he is in and then they proceed to overthrow the current lizard government. The lizard people look to him for leadership but he wants to go home. For all their technology the lizard men cannot record sound. The guy shows his closest advisers how to make recordings and then makes a series of them to leave and broadcast to the lizard people over the course of time.

The second book had a purple,black, and white cover of a childs head and a sabertoothed cat with six legs in the background above the childs head. The book is about a spaceship colony orbiting a planet that they intend to terra-form. The atomosphere is poisonous to humans but has an complete eco system that goes all the way up to large mammals including a type of primate. The way that they are terra-forming the planet is to have the raw materials dropped to the planet and have the animals do the work. This is done by mind linking their children, (Who are the only ones that can mind link) to the animals and controling them. The children also learn about and hear the thoughts of the animals. The main character is a boy that is mind linked to a large sabertoothed type feline with six legs. The children as they begin to understand what will happen to the animals and life of the planet that they are linked with, decide to rebel against there parents and stop the terra-forming project to save the life of the planet.

I would really like to find these books and have my own children read them.
And yes me too.

Mostlyharmless
December 2nd, 2010, 08:05 AM
"The Winds of Altair" by Ben Bova might be the second book.

royalwolf
December 2nd, 2010, 02:30 PM
Thanks, I'll research this.

Hobbit
December 2nd, 2010, 03:05 PM
This one?

http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1285510745l/302520.jpg

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/8/2010/02/340x_qoi0jr.jpg

Mark

royalwolf
December 8th, 2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks guys. The second book was "The Winds of Altair". I wasn't sure at first because I was running into a 1980's publishing date, but then I found that the story was first published in shorter form in hard copy in 1973. I then found the actual book cover from 1973. The story is slightly different than I remember it. the main charater is a student so I must have assumed that a student ment someone my age at the time. 11.