PDA

View Full Version : Which anime would you like to see become a live-action film?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Steven L Jordan
December 7th, 2010, 03:06 PM
The film industry has had mixed success turning comic and GN characters and anime into live-action movies. Are there any anime series you'd like to see someone give a shot at a live-action film?

Personally, I'd love to see Bubblegum Crisis given a live-action treatment... it would probably look a lot like Iron Man, I'd guess... but I figure, how can you go wrong with 4 sexy girls in cyborg suits (and a brother-sidekick following in his uber-equipped van) going after killer robots?

Any other ideas for a good live-action possibility? Or maybe some that you absolutely don't want to see anyone try?

Dead2u
December 7th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Bugglegum Crisis is up for a live action release in the next couple of years I'm pretty sure.
Frankly, live action anime scares me a little. The few I’ve seen left me disappointed but if I was to choose, I think I’d like to see “Grave of the Fireflies” given a live action version.

Steven L Jordan
December 8th, 2010, 02:33 PM
Bugglegum Crisis is up for a live action release in the next couple of years I'm pretty sure.

So I see from a few clips I found... we'll see how that goes.

Frankly, live action anime scares me a little. The few I’ve seen left me disappointed but if I was to choose, I think I’d like to see “Grave of the Fireflies” given a live action version.

I think, like many other genres, it just takes the right vision and production to make it work. I do think a lot of SFF anime is inherently tougher to produce than other genres... there is usually a hyper-kinetic aspect of the action that can be hard to express in live-action... but I don't think it's impossible. I'd call movies like The Matrix and Forbidden Kingdom proof-of-concept.

Moander
December 8th, 2010, 05:02 PM
Ghost in the Shell.

Dead2u
December 8th, 2010, 06:49 PM
I do think a lot of SFF anime is inherently tougher to produce than other genres... there is usually a hyper-kinetic aspect of the action that can be hard to express in live-action...

exactly, if you stuff it up they end up looking like a new Power Rangers movie.

The problem is that to make a live action version of a Sci-Fi anime would cost a few bucks so it’s more than likely they’ll get a big name director (I think Spielberg was on for the "Ghost in a Shell” movie) regardless of how appropriate they may be.

I guess in the end it’s like watching a movie based on a favourite book. You often have to disassociate the two in order to enjoy the new one (or I do anyway).

Steven L Jordan
December 9th, 2010, 10:48 AM
exactly, if you stuff it up they end up looking like a new Power Rangers movie.

The problem is that to make a live action version of a Sci-Fi anime would cost a few bucks so it’s more than likely they’ll get a big name director (I think Spielberg was on for the "Ghost in a Shell” movie) regardless of how appropriate they may be.

Sure, popularity helps... but it's not everything. Favreau's Iron Man was a huge success, though Favreau himself wasn't considered a "big name director." And remember, not all anime is heavy on mecha and giant spacecraft... quite a bit of it could be done on lesser budgets, relying mostly on good old human stuntwork and traditional gun and car gags (I'm thinking things like Gunsmith Cats and Riding Bean here).

(And I might not have chosen Spielberg for GitS, but on the other hand, I thought he did an incredible job on The War of the Worlds, and I could go with him. I'd probably choose Ridley Scott, J.J. Abrams or James Cameron first.)

alex4u
December 23rd, 2010, 02:32 AM
well i guess i can watch any movie baseed on anime providedly it should be directed by James Cameron

Steven L Jordan
December 23rd, 2010, 11:00 AM
well i guess i can watch any movie baseed on anime providedly it should be directed by James Cameron

Interesting! Why do you think Cameron would be the best at live-action anime? He's certainly good about anime-looking hardware, but I wouldn't say he has an anime style about his work.

saintjon
December 24th, 2010, 09:55 AM
I agree with the Cameron pick for any mecha/powersuit genre adaptation and it's pretty simple why. Regardless of whether his style is "anime" enough or not he is the absolute master of heavy weaponry action scenes in live action film. If you're not going the martial arts route nobody is going to make an action scene that hits harder, looks better or actually makes more sense to the viewer.

Take Michael Bay's work on Transformers. All the ingredients for mind-blowing action scenes wasted with too much shaky camera work and fumbling attempts at visual flair that miss as often as they hit. Now watch Terminator 2. What a masterpiece. No confusion but no lack of impact or badassery or flat out awesomeness.

I guess I could sum it all up by saying I'm no film student, I don't know what all the minutiae involved are but there's something very efficient about a James Cameron action scene. All this nonsense that's been creeping it's way into action scenes for the last decade or so seems like a lot of wasted effort. I don't think the extent to which his style is "anime" is tremendously relevant because if you're going to do an adaptation you probably should bring some different style elements to the table or why not just watch the anime? They are certainly tremendously enjoyable to begin with or we wouldn't be having this discussion.

So if someone were going to adapt something like Evangelion or whatever absolutely I would prefer James Cameron at the wheel.

Are there any animes you guys would prefer NOT to be made into movies? I remember hearing about someone wanting to adapt Akira and getting a bad feeling about it. I just have a hard time believing it would be done well at all so it was hard for me to think it was worthwhile.

I like that Toby Maguire got behind Robotech. I'd probably go see that and he would make a good Rick Hunter if he decides to be in it. I doubt they'd be able to cram anything but a small portion of the story into a feature length film but whatever.

Steven L Jordan
December 24th, 2010, 03:54 PM
I could see Akira being done live-action. A decade or so back, I would've said no; fortunately, a lot of productions that would have looked silly just 15 years ago can be done with today's computer effects. I wouldn't venture to pick a director for it...