PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on Science Fiction Books

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

ajdrwhofan
December 9th, 2010, 02:19 PM
I enjoy reading fantasy but all my friends say I am missing out on some really good science fiction stories. Can anyone recommend a good starter SF book for me to sink my teeth into?

vk2003
December 11th, 2010, 02:57 PM
How about reading something by one of the masters of Science Fiction, Robert Heinlein. Perhaps the book "Friday"

I found it fascinating. Both from a look forward from the 60s, when it was written, at the technology to come, but also from the prevalence of the Shipstone corp., and its apparent similarity to companies like Microsoft, and increasingly google.

Highly recommended

Loerwyn
December 11th, 2010, 03:04 PM
Hm, I appear to have missed this thread. Whoops!

Firstly, (belatedly) welcome to SFFWorld!
Secondly, we already have a topic for asking questions about sci-fi books and what you should/shouldn't read. It's located here (http://sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4986).

However, I will throw in my two pence. I'd recommend starting out with some of the better books - Orwell's Ninteeen Eighty-Four, Dick's Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? and, my personal favourite, Zamyatin's We. They're the more philosophical/satirical side of sci-fi, but they're still must reads. If you want something of a more comical edge but without the scientific terms, then there's always Adams' The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It might also be worth looking into Ballantyne's Twisted Metal, which isn't an overly complex novel.

Can't really recommend anything else, though, as I'm not really a sci-fi reader.

royalwolf
December 16th, 2010, 10:22 AM
Robert Silverburg - Lord Valentine's Castle

risc999
December 28th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Foundation series was always one of my favorites.

KD Sarge
December 29th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Wow, you guys believe in tossing ppl in the deep end! Noted. ;)

Hitchhiker is a good place to start. McCaffrey's Pern bears a lot of resemblance to fantasy; that might ease your transition.

If you've seen Star Wars, you already know space opera. I read some really great Han Solo before Star Wars books; you might try those. Can't believe the author's name is escaping me at the moment, but one of them was Han Solo at Star's End.

If you want to start with classics, why not Ray Bradbury's Martian Chronicles?