SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Dweller
December 15th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Hello,

I am looking for any recent novels about a small group of people, who would land on an spaceship either human or alien and investigate why it was abandoned?

Any recommendations?

tia.

KatG
December 15th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke is one of the most famous of these.

Omphalos
December 15th, 2010, 09:51 PM
There is a great short story out there called Guest Law that is about salvage rights of abandoned vessels in space. It's by John C Wright.

Delmak-O
December 15th, 2010, 10:26 PM
Non-Stop by Brian W Aldiss is an interesting take on this theme, old style though.
Excession by Iain M Banks, that's a good read.
Pushing Ice by Alistair Reynolds too.

Sonja Ravenscroft
December 15th, 2010, 10:41 PM
Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C. Clarke is one of the most famous of these.

Read Rama, was NOT impressed the "sequels" to Rama(IMO) they aren't worth the time, the first is a great stand alone :)

psikeyhackr
December 15th, 2010, 10:53 PM
All Cats Are Gray, by Andre Alice Norton
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/29019/29019-h/29019-h.htm

psik

Chuffalump
December 16th, 2010, 01:36 AM
Now I can't remember the title but.... there was a book where Alien spaceships flew into the solar system and approached Earth. Each time this happened a team would board the ship and manage to destroy it. Then a new ship would turn up with modifications to it's design to make it harder to sabotage and so on and so forth. Practically the whole of Earth was linked to these attack squads and would filter suggestions for layout and strategy during the mission. Each mission was harder than the one before.

Not exactly matching your criteria but....

Mostlyharmless
December 16th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I thought of Tanya Huff's “The Better Part of Valor”. A Google search found a few others including “First Flight” by Chris Claremont, a short story “Half a Life” by Kirill Bulychev and a 1997 film “Event Horizon” although that space ship did not start out alien.

mylinar
December 16th, 2010, 10:10 AM
Galactic Derelict by Andre Norton. Archeologists go back in time to an abandoned but still working spaceship. They move it forward to our time, but doing so triggers its launch and it follows its old preprogrammed path. However all of the destinations are also thousands of year in the future (from the ships perspective). I can't remember exactly how many but at least 10 to perhaps 50 thousand years different. I liked the book, even reread it as an adult.

Sonja Ravenscroft
December 16th, 2010, 10:24 AM
Galactic Derelict by Andre Norton. Archeologists go back in time to an abandoned but still working spaceship. They move it forward to our time, but doing so triggers its launch and it follows its old preprogrammed path. However all of the destinations are also thousands of year in the future (from the ships perspective). I can't remember exactly how many but at least 10 to perhaps 50 thousand years different. I liked the book, even reread it as an adult.

I'll have to pick that book up! That sounds pretty cool!