PDA

View Full Version : Addressing all those Brits out there...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

estranghero
July 27th, 2002, 10:53 AM
Hey, been seeing these graphic novels/ collections of British publication comic books, AD Graphics (?). Anyone have any opinions of these?

Have been perusing some of them and they look great, i.e. Judge Dredd, Devlin Waugh, Sinister and Dexter, that vampire lady, the maniac robots. :) :) :)

Hobbit
July 27th, 2002, 03:41 PM
They are collected reprints of old stories and characters from the British magazine 2000AD (hence the publisher!).

Judge Dredd was a favourite on mine when younger.

I bought the first 2000 Ad in 1977 (I think!) Alas, sadly gone. Judge Dredd appeared in the second issue if I remember right.

Much better than the Stallone version!

fluffy bunny
July 31st, 2002, 12:50 PM
go have a look at judge dredd: the cursed eath saga

estranghero
August 1st, 2002, 12:34 AM
Thanks guys. :)

I recently read Devlin Waugh: Blood will flow (?) and found it utterly creepy and engrossing though the ending was unsatisfying.

Others I read were Sinister and Dexter, which had great riffs to Quentin Tarantino, John Woo, and that director of 'El Mariachi', Nicolai (something, something) Rasputin, which was okay, that vampire lady, which had a great mythology, good story though I felt it was incomplete, and of course, perennial favorite Judge Dredd.

Anyone can link me to sites that can give more info on these?

jjt
August 17th, 2002, 11:16 AM
Jumpin in on the convo cause I also have a question for the UK comic fans.

The series Jeremiah became a decent tv series here in the US. I was just trying to find out how many of the UK comics are out .. and if they've been released in trade paperbacks.

Rumfuddle
November 12th, 2002, 04:51 PM
I've only just seen this thread. It's nice to see 2000ad being mentioned here. I too bought that first "prog" of 2000ad in 1977. Remember the Tharg frisbie? I think the next edition had sort of bionic man stickers which I wore to school and got laughed at. The woes of the SF child fan.
Dred wasn't in the first edition, no.
And what a film! They neatly resolved the problem of having a superstar play a masked character by having Stallone take his helmet off in the first few minutes of the movie!! Clever :mad:

I, Brian
December 2nd, 2002, 10:47 AM
Yup -Titan, I think it used to be.

Used to collect lots of the Judge Dredd and Nemesis ones, along with Halo Jones. Some good stuff in the old vintages.

But, anyway, I then found someone selling his 2000AD collection. A number of pre issue 300 issues, and then a straight run of 300 to around 715, with about 10 weeks missing in total.

Still got that collection in the loft. Was actually thinking last night about bringing it all down and reading it again!

kahnovitch
January 10th, 2003, 06:54 AM
Don't know how I missed this one. I loved 2000Ad and read it for years (about 10).
A great mix of SF and fantasy rolled into one glorious bundle.

I loved them all; Dredd, Slaine, ABC Warriors (especially Joe Pineapples), Strontium Dog and his nordic mate Wulf Sturnhammer with his "Happy Stick" i.e. a dirty big warhammer.

Shame about Stallone in the Dredd movie, Should have picked Arnie or some total unknown with a huge chin.

On the subject of Dredd, who would you choose for him?
(saves starting a new thread).

Russell Crowe has a good voice for Dredd, likewise Vin Diesel.

Joachim Phoenix for Judge Caligula.

I, Brian
January 30th, 2003, 03:38 PM
One thing I utterly did not understand about the somewhat mediocre film, is why on earth they placed all the historical Chief-Judges in one room and then killed them all off? The sequels went with that single act.

kahnovitch
January 31st, 2003, 06:11 AM
Originally posted by I, Brian
One thing I utterly did not understand about the somewhat mediocre film, is why on earth they placed all the historical Chief-Judges in one room and then killed them all off? The sequels went with that single act.

I think thoughts of any sequels went straight out the window the moment they cast Sly as Dredd.