View Full Version : best rpg for ps2?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

mshimmyb
December 19th, 2010, 12:25 AM
I know the ps2 is an old system, but ive recently got into gaming and wanted to hear your input towards rpgs for ps2. Currently im playing Dragon Quest 8 and am addicted to it!!!

Also i have a question about the Kingdom Hearts Series... Do you have to play Kingdom Hearts 1 before Kingdom Hearts 2? I have both games and would rather play the one with better graphics and just jump to Kingdom Hearts 2. Thanks for any input!!!

kater
December 19th, 2010, 05:23 AM
I'm moving this to the media forum.

Have you tried the final fantasy games? FFVII is one of the most amazing games I've ever played and the next two aren't bad either.

Aurian
December 19th, 2010, 04:00 PM
You probably want to play the first KH of the two, although unless you get nostalgia from Disney movies you might want to look at final fantasy instead

FF7 is considered to be the best one, but FF8 and FF9 are fun too.

If you want something darker, the Shin Megami Tensei series is great:

Start off with Digital Devil Saga 1 to see if you like it (its a two-part series, so you'll want to get the second one to finish the story).

Nocturne uses similar mechanics but its a lot harder. Devil Summoner is an action game instead of a turn based one and is considered to be weaker because the battles are kinda tedious.

Persona 3 and 4 are awesome!

mshimmyb
December 19th, 2010, 06:26 PM
thanks... Ive played FF 12 and plan on playing FF X. The only reason I asked about KH 1 and 2 is because I have both of them and was wondering if I would be lost playing the second one without playing the first? I'm pretty big on graphics, so I thought the second one would probably be better. Would I be totally lost playing KH 2 without having played the KH 1? Thanks for any recommendations!!!!

Loerwyn
December 20th, 2010, 06:07 AM
Western RPG or JRPG? I assume the latter because of what you've mentioned.

You're on the PS2, so any talk of graphics is... Well, pointless, and you're playing an RPG - Graphics are pretty much the least important thing. Kingdom Hearts was pretty good from what I remember, so certainly give it a play. I think it was released quite late into the PS2's lifespan so you're not going to be talking a huge jump in quality from 1 to 2.

I remember a guy I was in high school with being completely obsessed over Disgaea (I think that's spelt right). It might be worth a look.

I can't help much more, though. Not a fan of JRPGs at all, and my knowledge is restricted to Western ones.

saintjon
December 20th, 2010, 07:23 AM
If you guys are going to bombard him with PS1 final fantasy recommendations you could at least mention FF6 (which was re-released on the platform in some compilation or other). Yes 7 is purported to be the best but 6 probably actually is, don't let anyone spoil the story for you and it will blow you away.

Aurian
December 21st, 2010, 08:32 PM
Oh PS2, duh where was my brain? Final Fantasy X was the good FF RPG for the PS2.

If you have both Kingdom Hearts already why not just start with the first one? I can't recall any big difference in graphics between the two.

IkariX
December 22nd, 2010, 12:36 AM
Final Fantasy VIII was the best

saintjon
December 22nd, 2010, 07:10 AM
A most controversial but not unheard of stance lol

Quagmire
December 30th, 2010, 05:20 PM
Not really a fan of rpgs but I did play Dragon Quest 8 and I would recommend that.

Also, does Dark Cloud 2 count? I have to say one of the unlocked items for that is just so wrong. Good game nevertheless. much much better than the first game.