PDA

View Full Version : Please help me find this book/author

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

andivar
December 19th, 2010, 11:01 AM
Ok, this is something I vaguely remember seeing back in the late 80's (though not sure how old the book was at the time) and was recently thinking of. At any rate the book dealt with a galactic federation of animal like species that were all pretty much pacifists, with the most aggressive species being a dog/wolf like race that played something akin to rugby (hence them being the most violent of the federation). Anyway the story centers around a stork like alien that is a historian/xenoanthropologist. The Federation runs into a bug race dubbed the Web (I think) that is, compared to them, highly aggressive, the most violent and warlike race they've ever met. As they steadily lose ground to them they send a distress call out for anyone that might be able to help. The response they get is a race so violent that its almost unconcievable to the Federation. The Web's never run into anything like them either and quickly find themselves on the run. If I remember correctly by the end of the first book you find out that this new, exceptionally violent race, is Humanity. Now, if anybody knows the title or the author of this story I would very much appreciate a headsup as its driving me nuts trying to find it.

Jim diGriz
December 19th, 2010, 12:52 PM
This is Alan Dean Foster's 'The Damned' trilogy, consisting of 'A Call to Arms', 'The False Mirror' and 'The Spoils of War'