PDA

View Full Version : Monsters - You can make good movies cheaply

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Delmak-O
January 17th, 2011, 10:42 AM
I just saw Monsters a film by writer/director Gareth Edwards produced for an estimated $800,000. It was a very solid and nicely timed movie with a lot to say without ramming it down your throat and without the usual gung-ho, "we can take em down with mighty fire power" themes that dominate the recent so called blockbusters from Hollywood.

Apparently all shot with locals in an ad-lib style and often shot on locations where they just turned up and shot the scenes impromtu.

I did love the scene where she questions the main characters job of photographer in conflict areas.

Samantha Wynden: Doesn't that bother you? That you need something bad to happen to profit?
Andrew Kaulder: What? Like a doctor?
:D

Highly recommend giving this a view if you like a bit of thought with your SciFi.

Anyone else seen this?

Loerwyn
January 17th, 2011, 10:47 AM
Indeed, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Everything (i.e. almost nothing) I'd seen made me think it'd be a Lovecraftian horror/sci-fi film, but I think the best way to describe it is a romance with a sci-fi side story.

It's not about the monsters, it's not about their impact on the world, it's about two people who quickly fall in love, and the problems they face just getting from point A to point B. You are right though, Delmak, it does throw a nice bit of morality and thought in there, too.

Loved it, and so did my dad, which is fairly strange as he's one of these Guns + Beefcakes = Awesome Watching people.