View Full Version : HBO Bandwagon

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Heather Myst
January 23rd, 2011, 06:19 PM
Is anyone else out here going to sign up for HBO just because of the Game of Thrones series? I am in the process of reading the series again to get ready for the HBO telecast and I am impressed by just how good these books are. This is at least my third time through the books and I am just as hooked as I was on my original reading.

Evil Agent
January 23rd, 2011, 08:31 PM
I don't even have regular cable, so I'm probably not going to order cable plus HBO...

That being said, I feel guilty because I know that any hope of future seasons means that this show needs all the ratings it can get, and the support of loyal fans. I'll definitely buy the eventual DVD set, but for now myself (and many other fans) wish that HBO would offer some kind of option to pay and download the episodes each week.

Erfael
January 23rd, 2011, 09:14 PM
Could be you can buy it on iTunes or some such, Evil. I usually wait until things are on DVD or Netflix and then watch them, but I want to make sure I'm counted as a viewer here, so I may pay for episodes on iTunes.

I really think we're coming up on a big change in TV within the next few years. More and more people (like myself) are dispensing with cable entirely and watching online. There are some things that I would definitely pay $10 or so a month in order to stream - like Tennis Channel all year or Showtime during Dexter season or HBO during GoT season. Hell, I would pay a lump sum to stream tennis majors or Olympics...unfortunately, things are set up such that unless you have cable you can't stream things that are available. Case in point, I really wanted to see curling from the Olympics last year. I would have paid 10 or 20 dollars to stream it. And they had it all on the NBC-Olympics web site. But to see it, you had to sign in to your cable account to prove you were getting cable through a provider. I'd have directly paid them something like 1/3 of my monthly cable bill if they'd have allowed me to watch it, but they didn't. And that leaves people two choices if they refuse to have cable...don't watch it at all or steal it.

So in short, no...I wont' be getting cable or HBO to watch this. If they provide me a reasonably-priced way to watch it, I'll probably do that. If they don't, I'll either wait or....

Later edit: I'm hoping that we'll very soon see an internet cable provider that allows you to buy they channels you want, a la carte, at a reasonable price. I think they could make a killing doing that, really.

Werthead
January 24th, 2011, 04:16 AM
HBO don't have a deal with Netflix at the moment, and from the sound of it won't for a while. They do with iTunes, but going by previous series they'll wait until the entire season has aired before putting it on iTunes. And they'll wait until Season 2 is about to air before releasing the DVDs and Blu-Rays.

PeteMC
January 24th, 2011, 04:36 AM
It's going out on HBO Atlantic in the UK, which hasn't launched yet but looks like it's going to be satelite only (Sky) when it does. So I've got cable (Virgin Media) and probably still won't be able to see it :(

Evil Agent
January 24th, 2011, 06:14 PM
They do with iTunes, but going by previous series they'll wait until the entire season has aired before putting it on iTunes.That's a terrible idea. Surely they realize this?

Lordwalker
January 25th, 2011, 08:05 AM
I will be re-subscribing to HBO in order to watch, A Game of Thrones. I will probably keep it since I was a fan of True Blood before I changed providers last.

Daddy Darth
January 26th, 2011, 06:23 PM
Man, I subscribed to HBO last December (2009) in anticipation of this show. Have not regretted it, I love that channel. I know you can watch all the stuff on the computer and what not and some time in the future that might be for me too, probably when my kids are old enough to make it work and keep me from imputting my cup of tea into the disc drive.

Anyway - last night saw a promo on tv with my wife and even she is excited. She has read a Game of Thrones and liked it. To put this in perspective some of her favourite shows are Project Runway, What Not to Wear and American Idol! The infection is spreading.

Rilzik
April 5th, 2011, 07:37 PM
I signed up for HBO just for this. I also got free cinimax and starz for 6 months so it works out good.

I'll will cancel my subscription if the show gets cut.

End Of Disc One
April 5th, 2011, 07:58 PM
I don't even have regular cable, so I'm probably not going to order cable plus HBO...

That being said, I feel guilty because I know that any hope of future seasons means that this show needs all the ratings it can get, and the support of loyal fans. I'll definitely buy the eventual DVD set, but for now myself (and many other fans) wish that HBO would offer some kind of option to pay and download the episodes each week.

This. I had no channels at all until yesterday. Now I have HBO :cool: