PDA

View Full Version : HBO's GoT Ageing of a characters

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

teahupoo
January 26th, 2011, 11:37 PM
How many years pass in Westeros between AGoT's and AFFC? I don't recall it being 5 years. I was wondering how HBO will deal with the real life ageing of Arya, Bran, and Rickon. I know makeup and camera angles can do amazing things, but surely Bran and Arya will look different by the time AFFC films.

Also i know the whole merinese (sp) knot involved the books jumping ahead 5 years, but GRRM is having troubles with it. Is he still planning on the 5 year jump? If so that will work well for the filming of ADWD, if not.... i dont know how they will explain Arya and Bran looking 18 years old but suppose to be 14/15?

To be totally honest, I don't think it matters one bit how old they look. People won't care that much.

The reason this came to my mind is I saw the billboard with Arya standing under it on GRRM's blog and it made me think of how old she looks in real life compared to Aryas real age.

Evil Agent
January 27th, 2011, 01:03 AM
Well, they've already "aged up" the characters for the show (each character is supposed to be several years older in the show than they were in the book). For example, Ned Stark is now around 50 instead of 35.

I do worry a little bit about the kids growing too quickly, especially the youngest ones who will probably have a growth spurt soon. And the kids were originally cast for the pilot, which was shot over a year ago (and even then they were a bit older than they were supposed to be). The kids we'll see in Season 1 have already aged a year since the pilot.

I think the plan is to film a 2nd (and 3rd?) season quite quickly, if approved (probably the same time each year, from summer to fall).

Lastly, I think 1 or 2 years has passed by the end of Book 4.

teahupoo
January 27th, 2011, 01:49 AM
Thank E A

Good to know others are wondering about that.

Evil Agent
January 27th, 2011, 01:58 AM
However, in the event that the show goes all the way (a full 7 or 8 Seasons) then it would indeed be very noticeable. It will probably take at least 6-10 years for GRRM to write both books, so the kids could be a full decade older by the end.

Werthead
January 27th, 2011, 05:24 AM
The 5-year gap was eliminated back in 2001. There is no such gap planned any more.

The books start in the middle-ish of 298 AL. By the end of AFFC it's the middle of 300 AL (though some working on timelines have suggested that other characters are at different points; Arya should be a lot later and Asha is left a lot earlier, for example) so about 2 years have passed (Kevan says as much in AFFC). ADWD will cover a longer period than AFFC, maybe taking us into late 300 or early 301. So the first five books cover maybe 3 years at best.

That said, it'd be easy to say it's longer. Between the journey and Eddard's period as Hand, it's easy to spread AGoT over one year, ACoK already covers about a year anyway, and there's certainly enough going on in ASoS to extend that to a year as it stands (if it gets broken into two seasons, that might be harder to explain). Dany also has immense journeys to undertake so that works for her. Jon Snow and the Night's Watch storyline might not track quite as well (they spent over a year traipsing through the Haunted Forest searching for Mance's army? Sounds unlikely) but they could tweak that if necessary,

Dyloot
February 18th, 2011, 04:54 PM
Well, they've already "aged up" the characters for the show (each character is supposed to be several years older in the show than they were in the book). For example, Ned Stark is now around 50 instead of 35.

I do worry a little bit about the kids growing too quickly, especially the youngest ones who will probably have a growth spurt soon. And the kids were originally cast for the pilot, which was shot over a year ago (and even then they were a bit older than they were supposed to be). The kids we'll see in Season 1 have already aged a year since the pilot.

I think the plan is to film a 2nd (and 3rd?) season quite quickly, if approved (probably the same time each year, from summer to fall).

Lastly, I think 1 or 2 years has passed by the end of Book 4.

I think they should adjust the kids ages anyway. Just because Martin made that mistake (opinion!) in the books doesn't mean he has to in the television series.