PDA

View Full Version : 1970's novel - troglodyte-starship-robot-quest

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

radioFlyer55
January 27th, 2011, 09:25 AM
so there is this heavyworld/stubby dwarfish/troglodyte guy, and he has been searching for a special spaceship. Maybe they don't make them anymore?

Anyway he finds one somewhere on some backwater planet that's being worshiped by a bunch of native types, and so of course he steals it. The natives are chucking spears at him all the while.

The spaceship/starship thing looks like a small star sort of, it doesn't really have a visible exterior.

Anyway, this trog guy, our hero, he is a bit grumpy, but still picks up various stragglers, hitchhikers, whatever, or I guess there wouldn't be much of a story. I think maybe there was a cute girl? hard to believe I know.

The first guy he picks up is an android/robot guy that actually knows how to fully run and pilot the ship, and that makes things a bit more homey (the spaceship can manifest all sorts of useful stuff like food, toilets, even walls).

Anyway (3rd time I used that word) they all go somewhere, do something, our hero learns to be sensitive to the feelings of others & etc, I forget the rest, but I would like to reread it.

Also, maybe in the beginning of the book, our hero is exploring some abandoned building, and he tends to break things. He is from some super dense high gravity place, so 'ordinary' matter is a bit flimsy to him. and no, he isn't made out of neutronium, that would be silly.

btw I mean 'dwarfish' & 'native types', 'chucking spears' & etc in the non pejorative sense, case anybody is extra touchy bout these things. That is pretty much what I remember.

thanks.

radioFlyer55
June 13th, 2011, 09:09 PM
wow - 6 months and no replies. I thought that this was a reasonably decent book, I figured somebody else must have read it too. Anybody?

mylinar
June 14th, 2011, 09:06 AM
wow - 6 months and no replies. I thought that this was a reasonably decent book, I figured somebody else must have read it too. Anybody?

That description does not ring any bells whatsoever, apparently for none of us here. Usually somebody has some guesses, but this must be pretty obscure. Sorry.