PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer table top

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

txshusker
January 31st, 2011, 05:19 PM
Does anyone play Warhammer table top stuff? I passed a Games Workshop the other day and it piqued my curiosity. I can never find anyone to play Axis and Allies or Risk, and as a kid, we always wanted to mix D&D with a more battle hardened thing, and this is appears to be a good amalgamation... I think. I know it's been around for a while.

Any reviews or thoughts? i didn't see any other threads on it.
thnx

saintjon
February 1st, 2011, 07:15 AM
Warhammer is fun but it demands a lot of time and even more money. Unless you are playing with people who don't care about proxying things for models like empty bases and stuff your army is going to run you about 5 hundred bucks or so to get it to a good size. If you don't mind the time/money expenses make sure you research carefully before deciding which army to collect. Most people don't mind if you lurk around the store and watch games, I believe at Games workshop stores they will even let you play a few games with armies they keep at the store to see if you like it. There are some balance issues with the various armies, I haven't played under the new rules yet but I haven't heard anything to make me believe Chaos Daemons aren't still very over-powered. I think Vampire Counts are a little more reasonable now that the Fear rules have changed but I believe Dark Elves are still pretty ridiculous, just to cover the big 3.

Sonja Ravenscroft
February 2nd, 2011, 03:15 PM
I've never played it, but I've heard the same from people who have-seems like a really expensive hobby if you go into it hardcore.

I think some of the models/work that goes into table maps is STAGGERING in their detail though! :)

saintjon
February 2nd, 2011, 06:37 PM
See this would be a wonderful time to post some photos of some of my better paintjobs but my camera REALLY stinks for taking pics of miniatures.

well whatever here are some links if you want to see some less-than-great quality pics from when I was almost finished my dragon princes:

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae199/deviljon/high%20elves/highelves007.jpg

http://i971.photobucket.com/albums/ae199/deviljon/high%20elves/highelves008.jpg

txshusker
February 4th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Nice, SJ. I like the banner a lot, from what's showing. Did the shields have designs already or did you add them?

I had a buddy who had a knack for painting D&D figurines when we were younger. I never had the patience or talent... it's much harder than it looks. Well painted ones are very cool. So I started buying a few larger ones from a UK company called King and Country. (I lived in Hong Kong at the time.) I love them.

Thanks for the info SJ. I think I'd enjoy it, but I'm not sure I would have the time it takes to do it right. I appreciate the help.

saintjon
February 4th, 2011, 12:48 PM
The shields have a bit of embossing up the one side where you see the dragon-looking border, all symbols and colours and everything are painted by yours truly.

The painting takes time but you get better as you go and I know some really good tricks. By the time you are done painting one unit you know pretty much all you will ever need to.

ebusinesstutor
February 8th, 2011, 01:43 AM
Does anyone play Warhammer table top stuff? I passed a Games Workshop the other day and it piqued my curiosity. I can never find anyone to play Axis and Allies or Risk, and as a kid, we always wanted to mix D&D with a more battle hardened thing, and this is appears to be a good amalgamation... I think. I know it's been around for a while.

Any reviews or thoughts? i didn't see any other threads on it.
thnx

Haven't tried Warhammer. Getting together with my cousins this weekend for our annual "Axies and Allies" weekend. Lots of food, drink and crushing of enemies....

txshusker
February 9th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Haven't tried Warhammer. Getting together with my cousins this weekend for our annual "Axies and Allies" weekend. Lots of food, drink and crushing of enemies....

Alas, that's only a Xmas past time these days for us when everyone can get together during some vacation days.

This is me, jealous ---> :mad:

Remember, don't overextend Russia, even when you think you have it.. It's a trap!

fluffy bunny
February 10th, 2011, 03:01 PM

There are self contained boardgames and wargames out there which are cheaper with deeper rules. Warhammer's fine if you want to spend time assembling/converting/painting miniatures/plastic kits then showing them off on a battlefield. If you just want to play tactical wargames, there are plenty of other boardgame/wargame products out there wth more tactical options and requiring less setup time to create something ready for play