View Full Version : Me, Myself and I...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 9

Miriamele
August 2nd, 2002, 11:42 AM
Okay, here goes...for the third time I will attempt to make a post on this thread...keeping my fingers crossed...

1. Favourite Single Book of all time.
Lord of the Rings. Unoriginal, but I don't care.

2. Favourite Author of all time.
Probably Tolkien, with Tad Williams a close second.

3. Favourite Movie of all time.
I can't pick just one. The Matrix, Braveheart, Shawshank Redemption, The Crow, Crouching Tiger, Fellowship of the Ring

4. Favourite Band of all time.
Live

5. Your favourite fictional character of all time.
This is another hard one...but I would have to say Gollum, because he's so original, but Shelob is a pretty good bad guy (girl) too, and so is her equally revolting mother Ungoliant...I also like Jiriki from MS&T, and his sister Aditu. In non-fantasy, I think Tolstoy's books contain the most vivid characters, or at least the ones that really stuck in my head.

6. Your favourite story that you yourself have written.
Scar Tissue
The Cherry Blossom
Revenge of the Jumbo Shrimp

None of these stories are fantasy. It's only recently that I've begun writing fantasy, when I got bored of staying within the confines of the real world.

7. Your favourite character that you yourself have created and why.
Becky from my story The Cherry Blossom, because I modeled her after a dear friend of mine that I have lost touch with.

8. Explain in a few paragraphs why you love the SF/F genres.
Like someone else said, one can read enough depressing stuff about the sad state of humanity just by picking up the morning paper. When I read books I would rather have a story with characters that believe in honour, and fight with valour, and eventually get the bad guys in the end. It's much more uplifting than either the news or most of the mainstream fiction which is out there these days. No matter how crappy my life is at the moment, I can pick up a good fantasy book and forget about my problems entirely. That is no small gift!

9. If you could have dinner with one person alive or dead, real or fictional (not just authors) who would it be an why.
Hmmm...maybe one of the Greek philosphers would be interesting. Plato, or Aristotle. For a fictional character I would choose an elf from Middle Earth. For someone living today, I'd say Mike Myers would be an entertaining dinner guest.

10. The best moment in your life so far.
The day my daughter was born (a month early, suprising us before we had any baby clothes or furniture whatsoever.)

11. What you still wish to achieve.
I would love to write a few successful books, get a house in the country (with an enormous library and a big wild garden) and own a few horses.

12. Are you male or female
Female.

13. Music right now?
Well our computer is in my mom's dining room, and in the kitchen she's listening to Lianne Rimes (sp?) on the radio. Yikes!

14. Age?
23, at least for one more month.

Miriamele
August 2nd, 2002, 11:45 AM
Yay! It worked this time! :D

birhutanuh
August 2nd, 2002, 01:21 PM
easy....The Dictionary
too many to chose from
A crazy cartoon called Kirikou and the sorceress, and of course FOTR
I like Fleetwood Mac, and Hole
ahh i cant think of any that deserve this title
The one im working on now looks promising. It doenst have a title yet, ill leave that to last.
all of them, becuase i model all my characters from the traits and people i see around me, and me.
the different worlds, the possiblites, and first and foremost, MAGIC
9. If you could have dinner with one person alive or dead, real or fictional (not just authors) who would it be an why.
Only thing that comes to mind is Kurt Cobain, to ask who killed him (if he knew)
10. The best moment in your life so far. all of it and everything to come
an absolutley unique talent
12. gender
Feeee mail
13. Listening to music right now?
no, but good idea

Sammie
August 2nd, 2002, 04:36 PM
This is a very very cool thread, Juzza.

Posted by Killer Chicken

I'm actually listening to Supertramp: Breakfast in America. Great album.

Yes! I am not alone!

Birhatunuh - i thought Kurt Cobain killed himself???

And E-hero likes my taste in music.......do you see how cool this thread is!!

juzzza
August 2nd, 2002, 04:48 PM
You know what, I've been trying to post cool threads since I invaded this forum. I've tried controversy, I've tried moral paradoxes, I've posted my worst, most graphic story in my collection, I've talked profanity, violence, sex...

And the one thread you react to..? WHERE YOU GET TO TALK ABOUT YOURSELVES!!! Sheeesh. :D

It is cool though.

BTW. Kurt Cobain, that's what they want you to believe!!!

Supertramp was the soundtrack to my teenage years until Appetite for Destruction changed it all forever!!!

Jacquin
August 3rd, 2002, 09:31 AM
Ok I'll bite...

1) Favourite single book: It's a toss up between The Crow Road by Iain Banks and Time enough for Love by Robert Heinlein, please don't make me pick one....

2) Favourite Author of all time: Dead Easy... Chaucer

3) Favourite movie: Not so easy, far too many to choose from

4) Favourite Band: What one band? Good god what are you trying to do to me, there are thousands I love...

5) Favourite fictional Character: More dificult, either Lazurus Long or Druss but then maybe...

6) Favourite Story I have written: Well as I have only ever finished one it has to be the Surgeon (written as Jacquin Roy)

7) Favourite character I have created and why: The Surgeon in the above short story because he gets to do all sorts of things that my warped mind wonders about and I wouldn't dare (or probably even want to)

8) Why SF/F? Escapism, pure and simple but that goes for most books. I have a very real connection to the mediaeval era and the idea of a pre-technological world really appeals to me.

9) If you could have dinner with one person alive or dead, real or fictional (not just authors) who would it be and why? Probably Edward IV or maybe Johannes Lichtenaeur (don't ask...)

10) Best moment in my life so far: The first time my daughter hugged me.

11) What I still wish to achieve: True happiness, escape from the rat-race... you know the sort of thing.

12) Gender: Very Male

13) Listening to music right now? Yes, Michelle Shocked - Anchorage

14) Age: 29

Rumfuddle
August 3rd, 2002, 07:06 PM
Tolstoy's WAR AND PEACE, has it all.
RED-GREEN-BLUE MARS by Kim Stanley Robinson ( which is SF's WAR AND PEACE)

Ursula le Guin's THE LEFT HAND OF DARKNESS is more than a masterpiece, it's an extraordinary experience.

Thomas Hardy, pessimistic yet alive with humanity and raw nature.
( + abovementioned authors ofcourse)

Easy Rider - when I was around 19 or 20 I used to just watch it once a week or so.
GLADIATOR !
Most of Hitchcock.

Leoanrd Cohen, The Chieftains........ Christy Moore (anyone who isn't Irish know who he is?)

dunno

I haven't written any stories.
I'm a late vocation illustrator - my favourtie Fantasy picture so far is MOONFALL, my web site will be up and running soon .....

I created children's book characters at art school - I love Bouncey Brenda who's a sort of bouncey little girl with a rather grandmotherly appearance.....

It touches a deep nerve in me that more direct mainstream artforms cannot. It's the resonance of seeing reality through really powerful metaphors. The transforming power of the imagination.
There's also a large element of nostalgia. An SF editor once said that SF and Fantasy are published for 12 year old boys of all ages. I think you always want to recapture the tremendous sense of wonder you have at that age

Oh, you have to be careful here. George Orwell, for example, seems so sharp and lucid in his writing but apparently talking to him in person was like walking along an endless, grey rainy street - the same caution probably applies for any public/historical figure.
I need to know the person first, don't care who they are publically.

No one moment , I'm afraid

Success as an illustrator.
A library-home in the country, lakeside probably back in Ireland where I'm from and not in Spain where I've been living for years.

Male

13. Music right now?
I'm on holidays so don't have my sounds with me except the
rhythmic clicking of the keyboard with the low hum of the CPU for backing vocals... the occasional neighing of a horse, the rain,.

14. Age?
Of the Rosey Crucifixtion
33 years to heaven,

:

Shef
August 3rd, 2002, 10:06 PM
Now for the person I am sure that you all have been waiting for. The Purple Penguin himself.

Umm...I most say Once a Hero

Micheal Stackpole

The Empire Strikes Back

Weezer

Huck Finn

Good Morning Charlie

Charlie Malloy because he is a walking cliche

I love traveling to distant worlds to escape the troubled lives that we all mantain on this sin filled planet.

9. If you could have dinner with one person alive or dead, real or fictional (not just authors) who would it be and why.
Shakespeare. The greatest (if not my favorite) writer of all time.

I dunno. Many to chose from.

Become a published; if not wildly popular author.

Male

No.

14. Age
15. (hey, the same as KC. Freaky.)

ookey
August 3rd, 2002, 11:37 PM
Geez, so hard....... nope, can't do it. Can narrow it down to the 10-15 range, but that's as far as I can get without eliminating one. Sorry

1. John Steinbeck 2. Stephen King

Life, with Shawshank and Braveheart close seconds

U2, REM

Garp (Irving), Fitz (Hobb), Roland (King), John Coffey (King)

haven't completed one YET, but soon...

N/A

Everything about it. Mostly: there are no boundaries for my imagination, it can run rampant. :)

9. If you could have dinner with one person alive or dead, real or fictional (not just authors) who would it be and why.
Jesus - lots of questions for him. Way distant second would be Churchill

The only one we got: right now and always.

Graduate college, marry a nice, kind girl, and write every day with hopes of being published one day, but if not, atleast being content that I'm a decent writer. :)

Male

No, but if I was it would be to the local Christian radio station

14. Age
20. (21 in Nov., big age in the U.S.) ;)

milamber_reborn
August 4th, 2002, 02:08 AM
1. Any Jordan book, or Rage Of A Demon King or Empire Trilogy or Honoured Enemy, or Stephen King's It

2. Robert Jordan

3. LOTR at the moment

4. Blink 182

5. Milamb... Nakor from Feist's Sepertwar Saga

6. The Coming, a short story in a meso-american setting, that will hopefully be published in a fantasy/sc-fi mag soon

7. Bryant Smith - a cool soldier in my novel, The Uprising

8. Never read much Sci-fi other than Doctor Who, Fantasy rocks cause I find every other genre boring in comparison and Fantasy just rocks

9. Either Imogen Bailey (hot and nice Aussie model) or Kristin Kreuk from Smallville

10. Writing a beast of a fantasy novel in 1 year and 1 month whilst studying, reading and watching loads of TV (and yet I found the time to write every day)

11. Making a living as a writer