SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9

Ladijen
August 5th, 2002, 06:09 PM
1. Favourite Single Book of all time.
I don't think that I can pick just one...

2. Favourite Author of all time.
See no. 1

3. Favourite Movie of all time.
Gone With The Wind

4. Favourite Band of all time.
See no. 1...but Led Zeppelin and David Bowie are in the high 10

5. Your favourite fictional character of all time.
Probably Dracula, a creature/person who is at once terrifying, sad, and seductive.

6. Your favourite story that you yourself have written.
Hmmm...not sure.

7. Your favourite character that you yourself have created and why.
See no. 6

8. Explain in a few paragraphs why you love the SF/F genres.
(I would add an 'H' : SF/F/H) As many others have already said, I love the genres because they allow me to escape this world and enter a world that seems to be happier, simpler, or just more interesting.

9. If you could have dinner with one person alive or dead, real or fictional (not just authors) who would it be an why.
Probably someone from the ancient world, like Socrates, because I think it would interesting (assuming no language barriers :) ) to see how someone like that viewed the world around them at that time. Socrates, specifically, to experience his "dialogue" first hand.

10. The best moment in your life so far.
My wedding day

11. What you still wish to achieve.
I still wish to get the &*%# out of grad school...and then to spend more time improving my writing skills, and perhaps write a book someday? :D

12. Are you male or female? (something that's often not apparent)
female

13. Are you listening to any music right now? If so, what and why?
I'm listening to a classical radio station because it drowns out the other noises in the lab and makes it easier to fill out questionair...uh, I mean work on my thesis. :)

14. Age (if you want to)

astrianna
August 7th, 2002, 05:08 PM
Geez, it's been ages since I've posted here.
Hmm...
Anyway.

Favorite book - The Mists of Avalon, because I read it once a year for my whole junior high and high school life, or A Natural History of Love (not sf/f) because I found it fascinating and an endless source of good quote material.

Favorite author - That's tough. Can't answer it.

Favorite movie - I'm a movie plebeian. I'll watch, and enjoy, almost anything.

Favorite band - The Cure. Forever and ever, amen.

Favorite fictional character - It varies depending on which aspect of my life I feel needs a boost. I relate to those characters that have traits I feel lacking in myself. I swear, I did come by some of my personality honestly. Just not all of it.

Favorite story that I've written - I don't write stories. However, I once wrote a description of my mind using the metaphor of a living, haunted house that I was very proud of.

Favorite character of mine - astrianna. Born in a dream and materialized on the screen, although she does have a few stories of her own.

Why I love SF/F - I was raised on it. I skipped the y/a section entirely and leapt straight from Dr. Seuss into Elizabeth Moon. My house is lined with bookshelves, there was never a time that books, particularly sf/f books, were not a major part of my life. Although, neither my mom or sister particularly care for reading, so I guess the reason is more personality than proximity.

Who would I have dinner with - Cleopatra or Morgan Le Fay, both women I idolized as a child and still keep on a pretty high pedestal.

Best moment in my life - There've been a few. The day I met my dog, both of us nervous wrecks and at the SPCA for salvation (I was cleaning up the messes, she was helping make the messes) The day my dog was hit by a car and didn't even break a bone, and I finally gave up the illusion that I am in control of it all. And the two year long moment that has been my relationship thus far with the man I'm going to marry.

What do I still wish to achieve - My Dream Life. No one achievement, but a whole life centering around a wonderful kitchen, a huge yard, a loft-study, a woodworking shop, three dogs, a cat or two and a husband, a nearby forest and river, enough money to live simply but well and time to do the things I love.

Male or female - female.

Music of the moment - Portishead, Dummy. One of my favorite albums ever, because it is a perfect backdrop to almost anything.

Age - 21 on Sunday August 11.

juzzza
August 7th, 2002, 05:11 PM
It's a shame you don't write more, your post was a joy to read.

Shef
August 7th, 2002, 06:11 PM
I concur juzzza. It seems you have a way with words astrianna, tis' a shame you don't use it. But if you don't want to write, I will not push you.

milamber_reborn
August 8th, 2002, 01:00 AM
Male, 20 on August 16th.

Nimea
August 8th, 2002, 06:36 AM
mmh, *deepthinking* . . . nope, can't decide. Maybe 'The Moor's last Sigh' by Rushdie, maybe 'To say nothing of the Dog' by Connie Willis, maybe something else, maybe something that still waits in the future . . .

Definitely none.

Willow - out of tradition. ;) I watched it at least 25 five times and it was what definitely got my child's mind on fantasy. And it is still so cool!
But followed by Matrix, Braveheart and Fight Club.

K's Choice

Nope, the same problems as with fav book and fav writer.

I am not sure. Maybe 'Des Todes' or 'Stadt der Duelle' :D ;)

Gwendoline Korrigan, because of her red hair, her good heart and her fear to do something wrong and because she gave everything for she knew it was the right thing to do.
Khorina, because she is small, smart, unafraid, gifted (see 'Talented Girl' in Diane Wynne Jones' 'Though Guide to Fantasyland' - when I read that, I laughed my a** off) and sarcastic. And because of her love for one man, whose soul she alone was able to save - on the price of his death.

Just because it is what best fits with me and my ever wandering mind.

9. If you could have dinner with one person alive or dead, real or fictional (not just authors) who would it be an why.
Albert Einstein

There are quite a lot. Almost every one has my fiancÚ in it.

11. What do you still wish to achieve.
To finish my studies, to open my own bookstore (together with my soon-to-be husband), to write all the stories I have in my mind and to read as many books as possible.
Oh, yeah, and to grow old together with my loved one.

12. Are you male or female
Female.

13. Music right now?
None, it stopped ten minutes ago and I was to lazy to start it anew. The soundtrack to 'Queen of the Damned' and the Vanessa Carlton CD.

astrianna
August 8th, 2002, 09:16 AM
aww, I'm blushing.
Thanks for the compliments, Shef and juzzza. Maybe I'll have to make an effort to respond to more posts.

daigoro
August 11th, 2002, 03:41 PM
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson

Impossible to answer this one, probably George R.R. Martin, Tad Williams, Robin Hobb or John Marco... I've at least enjoyed everything I've read of their work.

Hmm, probably Pulp Fiction. 6th Sense, Matrix, Bondoc Saints and Monsters Inc. are also quite good I think.

Metallica although lately I would say that Live and Dave Matthews Band is coming close.

Don't know really, maybe I should say Tywin Lannister, definitely an interesting and complex character that was easy to hate in the beginning of the series.

NA

NA

Always enjoyed stories set in different worlds.

Probably one of the worlds presidents or prime ministers, just to confirm my suspicion that IQ and world leaders not necessarily is related.

Secret :D

11. What you still wish to achieve.
Find the girl of my dreams I guess, or have her find me, either way... and yes a house on the French Riviera to spend 3-4 months a year would be nice...

12 gender?
Male

13 music?
Aerials with System of a Down, no special reason, it's just what's playing on the TV at the moment. I must say that it's quite good though.

14 age?

Shanoncia
August 11th, 2002, 06:54 PM
No offense Dag, but you being this big mysterious website owner I kind of imagined you as a wise old man (you know the wizard figure) but after reading all your question answers you sound quite young, quite exciting, and massively cool! Your taste in music is perfectamundo as well!

Shef
August 11th, 2002, 09:44 PM
Origanally posted by Dag:
12 gender?
Male
OMG! I never would have guessed! :D :p :D

Joking of course. I just have to see the reactions of those who read this. You know I love you. (not in the homosexual way you sickos :mad: )