SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Sammie
August 29th, 2002, 06:53 PM
*BUMP*

Seems we have a bit of a rush on new members atm; i thought this'd be a nice thread for the new-est-bies to have a look through.......

kassimir funk
August 29th, 2002, 08:20 PM
1. Favourite single book - Cannery Row by Steinbeck

2. Favourite Author of all time - Who knows

3. Favourite Movie of all time - either Big trouble in little China or the Ice Pirates

4. Favourite Band- Soundgarden or Cafe Tacuba

5. Your favourite fictional character of all time - Achilles (Illiad)

6. Your favourite story that you yourself have written.
The one I'm writing now

7. Your favourite character that you yourself have created and why.
Yukalyn Lystro - Because he is a character who undergoes radical changes and is the most unlikely of heroes

8. Explain in a few paragraphs why you love the SF/F genres.

Fantasy is a place where I can let my imagination run wild, an escape of sorts.

9. If you could have dinner with one person alive or dead, real or fictional (not just authors) who would it be an why.
John Merrick... the elephant man. I think it would be amazing to speak with someone who truly knew what it was like to suffer yet had enough friends and resources to allow him to spend extravagant hours in introspection. I'd like to ask him what he thought of people as a whole.

10. The best moment in your life so far.

Couldn't tell ya

11. What you still wish to achieve.
A successful writing career, a successful music career, and a successful business career

12. Are you male or female
male

13. Music right now?
Juanes- A dios le pido

14. Age?

Carmichael
August 30th, 2002, 08:26 PM
1. Favourite Single Book of all time. Talion:Revenant.

2. Favourite Author of all time. Mike Stackpole of course.

3. Favourite Movie of all time. Casablanca.

4. Favourite Band of all time. Varies year to year.

5. Your favourite fictional character of all time. Samuel Lentowsky, the Most Dreadful Gopher.

6. Your favourite story that you yourself have written. The treatment for Maximum Mayhem.

7. Your favourite character that you yourself have created and why. See #5

8. Explain in a few paragraphs why you love the SF/F genres. *****

9. If you could have dinner with one person alive or dead, real or fictional (not just authors) who would it be an why. ****

10. The best moment in your life so far. My life ain't over yet. I'll let you know.

11. What you still wish to achieve. A degree in animation.

Thonoir
September 1st, 2002, 10:23 PM
1. Favourite Single Book of all time: LOTR (so sue me)

2. Favourite Author of all time: Terry Pratchett + David Gemmell

3. Favourite Movie of all time: LOTR, Braveheart, Mallrats

4. Favourite Band of all time: Matchbox 20, Pearl Jam, Faith No More, Tool, Fiona Apple

5. Your favourite fictional character of all time: Cornelius (in Robert Rankin's books), Connavar, DEATH

6. Your favourite story that you yourself have written: Dan Schwelck - Weird Eliminator. A short story of nonsense and awfully written many years ago. But so much fun to write.

7. Your favourite character that you yourself have created and why: Dan Schwelk - Weird Eliminator

8. Explain in a few paragraphs why you love the SF/F genres: I'm a person who gets disillusioned with the real wolrd very often and fantasy provides an escape from that. I like to read of heroism and upstanding morals. Of good triumphing over evil. It has an effect on me not dissimilar to music.

9. If you could have dinner with one person alive or dead, real or fictional (not just authors) who would it be an why: God (in my opinion, fictional. I'm not trying to start something though) to ask him where he went wrong and why he cant fix it

10. The best moment in your life so far: Kicking my dad out

11. What you still wish to achieve: To go on a dig in Montana. To publish a comic. To write a full novel

12. Are you male or female: Male

13. Music right now: Dido

14. Age? 22

juzzza
November 6th, 2002, 07:19 AM
BUMPED

So the newbies can have a go.

Aik Haw
November 6th, 2002, 08:19 AM
1. Favourite Single Book of all time: Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

2. Favourite Author of all time: Peter F. Hamilton.

3. Favourite Movie of all time: Piano Teacher

4. Favourite Band of all time: Limkin Park

5. Your favourite fictional character of all time: Raistlin of Dragonlance, Nakor of the Serpentwar series, and Granny Weatherwax as well as Death's Grandaughter in Discworld.

6. Your favourite story that you yourself have written: Dysjunction.

7. Your favourite character that you yourself have created and why: Daniel Chong Wei Kong, a character whose world was torn apart, from his own conception, the people around him, and from Nature Herself as well as the Gods( including the Christian one, who made a brief appearance standing side by side with his wife ) when he accidentally stumbled upon his true, as well as the true nature of most "unique" individuals around him.

8. Explain in a few paragraphs why you love the SF/F genres:
Fantasy,
The door to possibilites,
Of worlds that might be,
Planes bordering reality.
Seen by ones so dreamy,
But barred by the majority,
Who desires rigidity.

The realms of science,
The future is the sign,
If one would dare,
To ascend the stairs so bare,
And not just stand and stare,
By changes to the stars there,
But ride the lofty air!!

9. If you could have dinner with one person alive or dead, real or fictional (not just authors) who would it be an why: Charles Darwin, because of his bravery to expound a theory he believed explained the nature of speciation and to directly challenge a hierarchy that actually solely believed in the theory of Christian creation. Also, the father of modern biology!!

10. The best moment in your life so far: Having a penguin piggy ride on me!!

11. What you still wish to achieve: To write a novel and to have it published and at least read by 100K people.

13. Music right now: None, can't stand listening to music while typing. In fact, can only listen to music when doing nothing else.

14. Age? 23

Sammie
November 6th, 2002, 09:41 AM
Nicely bumped

(wishes she'd thought of this herself)

Hey! I can update my ''music atm'': Placebo, 'Black Market Music'
(LOVE this album...)

saintjon
November 6th, 2002, 10:14 AM
1. Favourite Single Book of all time:
The Tao of Pooh

2. Favourite Author of all time
George R.R. Martin definitely. He's telling the story I always wanted to hear.

3. Favourite Movie of all time
Toss-up between American Beauty and the Shawshank Redemption

4. Favourite Band of all time
NOFX, no other band has put out so many songs that are that good IMO

5. Favourite Fictional Character
Eddard Stark, the paragon of nobility

6. Your favourite story that you yourself have written
I'm extremely satisfied with the way the story for my Exalted game is panning out. Fortunately, so are my friends!

7. Your favourite character that you yourself have created and why
Ulf Greatclaw, a character in my Exalted game. He's lived for millenia, waiting for his best friend to be reincarnated (my friend's character Therin). Dirty, smelly, umkempt, loyal and ferocious. A good friend and a terrible enemy.

8. Explain in a few paragraphs why you love the SF/F genres
Just because of the morality I think, and the honour, which in modern times is often viewed with scorn. I learned morality from watching Start Wars before Kindergarden, and Tolkien drop-kicked the doors of my imagination wide open

9. If you could have dinner with one person alive or dead, real or fictional (not just authors) who would it be an why:
Genghis Khan. Just to experience the ultimate self-made man and witness his legendary magnetism. (this assumes that I can understand what the hell he's saying :D)

10. The best moment in your life so far
The day my friends brought Becky to see me...

11. What you still wish to achieve
Would like to have a relationship that last longer than two months, with someone who isn't afraid of being loved.

13. Music right now
Dropkick Murphy's. One of the only bands where I saw them live first, best live show EVER. I highly recommend that if you like rowdy drinkin raunchy rock with bagpipes and some real HEART that you guys download "Heroes of our Past", I think it will touch a chord with this crowd...

14. Age 20 (21 soon)

milamber_reborn
November 7th, 2002, 01:41 AM
Linkin Park and Hoobastank rule!

Mamb
November 8th, 2002, 12:06 PM
1. Favourite Single Book of all time:
Assassin's Quest

2. Favourite Author of all time
Robin Hobb

3. Favourite Movie of all time
Oooh, not sure... French Connection, FOTR, The Bourne Identity, The Godfather, Terminator (in no particular order)

4. Favourite Band of all time
Jamiroquai, Muse

5. Favourite Fictional Character
Fitzchivalry Farseer

6. Your favourite story that you yourself have written
n/a

7. Your favourite character that you yourself have created and why
n/a

8. Explain in a few paragraphs why you love the SF/F genres
Just the sheer scope of things that can happen, the depth of characters, ESCAPISM

9. If you could have dinner with one person alive or dead, real or fictional (not just authors) who would it be an why:
Mmmm, another difficult one. I really don't know..

10. The best moment in your life so far
Most of my life so far. Except for... actually, I wont get into all of that.

11. What you still wish to achieve
Get into Medical College, then become a successful surgeon.
Lose my virginity...:o

12. Are you male or female
Male

13. Music right now
Jamiroquia - Travelling without Moving

14. Age
17 (18 next month!!!:D )