View Full Version : Me, Myself and I...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9

dragondrool
November 8th, 2002, 01:12 PM
Since I never got around to this the first time...

1. Favorite single book of all time: Probably It and Freak the Mighty

2. Favorite authors: George RR Martin, Stephen King, Sue Grafton, Patricia Cornwell, Michael Crichton, Steinbeck

3. Favorite movie: Probably The Silence of the Lambs

4. Band: Melissa Etheridge, Sarah McLachlan, Duran Duran

5. Favorite fictional character: Tyrion Lannister

6. Favorite story that I've written: N/A

7. Favorite character that I've created: N/A

8. Why science fiction and fantasy?: Why not?:D There's probably more room to do interesting things in fantasy, science fiction, and horror than in a lot of other genres. I also think it can bring about a stronger emotional and visceral response. The plots twist and turn more, the character development can be much more fun, drama can be heightened, and it is great escape, too.

9. Who would I like to have dinner with (living or dead)? Barring family, most likely Jane Goodall (the chimp researcher). She's down to earth and is fascinating. I count her as one of my heroes.

10. Best moment in my life so far: Teaching. Especially math.

11. What do I still wish to achieve: I want to get a math degree someday.

12. Male or female?: Female

13. Music I'm listening to now: Shuffling between Melissa Etheridge and Sarah McLachlan in the car, and movie scores in the house.

14. Age: I'll be 31 on November 13th.

Artistic Wizard
November 8th, 2002, 02:22 PM
1. Favourite Single Book of all time.
Most likley LOTR.....This book started my love for fantasy when I was a wee young lad.

2. Favourite Author of all time.
This is difficult, I cant narrow it to just one.
Tolkien, Martin, Gemmell, Salvatore, Brooks, Jordan, McKiernan,Marco, Fiest, Eddings, Hobb...And the list goes on...

3. Favourite Movie of all time.
God Father Trilogy, LOTR

4. Favourite Band of all time.
Dream Theater

5. Your favourite fictional character of all time.
Gath Of Baal (The Death Dealer), Once again I dont just have one. The list would be large

6. Your favourite story that you yourself have written.
Still in progress. 10 chapters of my novel are done so far. I still have quite a way's to go before finished.

7. Your favourite character that you yourself have created and why.
Still in the creative process.

8. Explain in a few paragraphs why you love the SF/F genres.
I just love the feeling Fantasy gives the reader. There is no limit to where ones imagination can take you. Mythical beasts and worlds, that captivate the reader and loose him/her in the fantastic. The skys the limit as far as creation goes. It's so much more fun to read about the unknown and impossible, or things dreams are made of, compared to the modern world in which we all live.

9. If you could have dinner with one person alive or dead, real or fictional (not just authors) who would it be an why.
Ozzy Osborne. Have you seen his reality show. I mean come on, It would be a full blown riot to hang with this guy!

10. The best moment in your life so far.
The birth of my son. He is the greatist gift I have ever, or will ever be blessed with.

11. What you still wish to achieve.
Hopefully I will have the ability to be a good father and raise my son right (hes only 1and1/2 years old right now)
I also would like to see my novel published in the near future, and be able to quit my day job and be a full time writer/Author

12. Male or Female?
Male

13. Age?
turned 35 on November 5th

:D :D :D

chocky
November 8th, 2002, 03:23 PM
The Three Musketeers, Dune, The Count of Monte Cristo, Replay, Pride and Prejudice, Venus Plus X, The Old Man and the Sea, and The Stars my Destination.

Authors of the books listed above.

Seven Samuri, The Bridge Over the River Kwai, The Great Escape.

Don't know. I love jazz though.

Superman and Batman

The Day I Cremated my Cat:The Musical.

Me

I don't know. I don't really think about it. I just like it. I try to go through life without over analizing things.

9. If you could have dinner with one person alive or dead, real or fictional (not just authors) who would it be an why.
I suppose Jesus. I'm not overly religous but he seems like a swell enough guy.

Being Born, the rest is kind of downhill after that.

Well, career wise I am curently working on my second trade(power Systems Electrician), and electronic eng. technician diploma by correspondance. After that I plan to get a degree in engineering. In my personal life I just want to be better in my relationships.

12. Male or Female?
Male

13. Age?

Radthorne
November 8th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Hmm, guess I can embarass myself with this stuff just as well as everybody else...

Hard to choose one, but Shogun, by James Clavell, comes pretty close.

No single one. Gotta list, though:
Katherine Kurtz
Marion Zimmer Bradley
Diane Duane
Jane Fancher
At different times, Iíve liked much of their work, or been impressed by their writing skill.

Excaliber was recently displaced by LOTR. Liked the Shogun mini-series a lot, too (although the book was even better). And the Michael York Three & Four Musketeers.

Creedance Clearwater Revival, with Jethro Tull a strong second (yeah, yeah, youíll get to that age question soon enough...)

Barney. No, wait, that was my sonís favourite. Guess I donít have one. Someone mentioned, I think, Jean Luc Picard. That reminded me of those bumper stickers we saw a few years ago: Picard-Riker in í88. Gawd, I sure wish we had them on the election ticket...

The published one, The Road to Kotaishi. I read once that you should include in your first published book everything important that you really want to say, since you may not get another chance. So I did, and thus the book reflects my view of reality and the fundamentally good nature of humankind. I thought that was kind of an important thing to say.

A tie between two characters in The Road to Kotaishi. One is Toshi-hito, the Deshi Master (since heís what Iíd like to be), and the other is Wochu, the illegal conjuror in Tejinashi (Ďcause he was a wonderful character to write) (as evidenced by the fact that those are among the only pages in the book that were not red-penned to death by my editor).

It breaks the boundaries of what we perceive as reality, and lets our minds see more than what our poor senses limit us too. I particularly enjoy fantasy, as I feel that (at least as the genres go these days) there is more scope for painting a positive view of human nature. I find a lot of contemporary SF to be a bit of a downer.

Obi-Wan Kenobi. Obi-Wan (at least as he was portrayed in the first film) was wise, powerful, humble, confident, knew when it was time to act, was very clear on right versus wrong, and sacrificed himself for the greater good. (In fact, heís a lot like Toshi-hito... :) )

This one. Since Iím still here!

Getting my first book published pegged the achievement meter for me, so from here on out itís pretty much putting out more of Ďem! I suppose doing it for a living would be nice, but gonna have to sell an awful lot for that to happen...

12. Male or female.
Let me check. Umm... male!

13. Music listening to right now.
None through my ears. The sweet sound of my wifeís delicate voice floats through my mind all the time, though.

14. Age.
44. Alright, maybe not the oldest buzzard on this board, but pretty damn close. Brainís still stuck at 22, however.

Stor-All
December 10th, 2002, 04:07 PM
Green Eggs and Ham - for the memories it brings back
Mark Anthony - what really dragged me into the fantasy genre
The Usual Suspects - because it is great. Period.
Bush - been listening to them ever since 6teen Stone came out
The Librarian from Discworld - because he's an APE
Can't say I've actually ended any of the hundreds of stories I've started
I create numerous characters in my head throughout the school day, but never take the time to jot them down.
I love reading about vivid descriptions. This isn't a very good reason for strictly reading the sf/f genres, but it seems that I get more of the descriptions I'm looking for in these genres than others.
Probably Edward O. Wilson. I think we might have a small amount in common (him being a world famous entomologist (spelling??) me being a teenager fascinated with the world of insects) and I think I could learn a lot from him.
Not really sure about this one...I've been sitting here thinking for a while and nothing really pops into my head. I try to treat every moment like it's the best in my life...it makes me generally happier than thinking back and going through the bad stuff to find something good.
Graduate college, and get a job in something I really love to do. Sound familiar?
12. Are you male of female?
Male
13. Music right now?
I just got done listening to Outkast...just recently got into them. I'm more into the underground hiphop though. Aesop Rock anyone??
14. Age?

Kirby
December 10th, 2002, 06:18 PM
The King, The Mice, and the Cheese.

Keith Johnstone

Ooo! Toughie. Contact v's LotR..

a-Ha ! :p sad, but true...

I second Stor-all here - definitly the Discworld Librarian -"ook!"

None finished.. Well not really. But I'm quite fond of "Thorsday (http://www.ledgecentral.com/thorsday.htm)", my seasonal spoof.

Too difficult! - Bu, Beorn, and Ving. One reminds me of childhood, one is my mental accomplice and the last is pure megalomania in a small penguin body.

Because I deal with reality every day.
I also admire the capacity for total immersion that some authors have.

9. If you could have dinner with one person alive or dead, real or fictional (not just authors) who would it be and why.
Jim Henson, because he had a way with characters, and was able to do something about it.

http://www.ledgecentral.com/Images/swordsunbig.jpg

Publication of an illustrated book..or two..or more...

gamina
February 2nd, 2003, 06:02 AM
favourite book:
"Magician ," by Raymond Feist but really any/all of his books.

favourite author:
Without a doubt, Raymond E Feist!!
Followed by John Wyndham and Stephen King.

favourite film:
Thats a hard one but at the moment i think LoTR. Also loved "Communion" and watched it hundreds of times

favourite band:(bands)
Travis, Stereophonics, Manics, Red Hot Chilli Peppers

favourite fictional character:
Again chosing from REF's books either Pug/Milamber or Jimmy the Hand.

favourite story written by myself:
"The Last Life", a story i wrote a couple of years ago. Although it was supposedly completed ages ago i have, over the last year, made several changes to it and am still re-doing bits of it at times.

favourtie character created by myself:
Jasmine who is the main character in "The Last Life". She has gone through a few different names and personae so far, she has turned out to be a great character and i have put a lot of work into her but am still not 100% satisfied with her just yet.

explain in a few paragraphs why i love the sff genre:
For the purpose of reading then it is total escapism from the boredom of day to day living in a world with very little real magic and mystery.
For the purpose of creative writing though i think it is the fact that you can set your own boundaries and limits if any at all. You do not have to stick to anybody elses rules, you can create anything you want in any way you like.

if i could have dinner with one person alive or dead, real or fictional, then who would it be and why?:
Another very hard question, but, i think it would have to be Freddie Mercury.!!
I grew up loving Queen and their music, but i had/have so much respect for this guy. Known as the Great Pretender but he lived his live the way he wanted and never tried to hide what he was.
He was quoted as saying that he would not have changed a thing from his life if he could have. I think he loved every minute of his life and didn't waste time looking back too often. He really was gifted with so much natural and artistic talent, i think that after sitting sharing one meal with him you could not fail to walk away without having learned something to your benefit.

the best moment in my life so far:
Having both of my daughters.

what do i still wish to achieve:
So much, i don't know where to start. You should always set goals for yourself even if it is only very small ones, i think it keeps me motivated.

are you male or female?:
Female

what music am i listening to just now?:
Travis - The Man Who

Jaysi
February 2nd, 2003, 07:06 AM
1. Favourite single book of all time.
The Lord of the Rings

2. Favourite single author of all time.
Tolkien. Closely followed by Stephen King.

3. Favourite movie of all time.
This is hard to choose. It's between FOTR, TTT, The Green Mile and many, many more. :)

4. Favourite band of all time.
Guns N' Roses, Aerosmith, Riverdogs, Skid Row, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi; I can't choose.

Galadriel.

6. Favourite story that you yourself have written.
None of my stories have titles. lol. That is my one main weakness when it comes to writing. I wouldn't be able to choose even if they did ave though because they are all rubbish.

I can't decide with this one, it's between about 6 characters.

Because it feeds my imagination. There is no other genre where you can create worlds from scratch and play with ideas in such a way that you can with fantasy / scince fiction. It's reading and writing without the guidelines.

9. If you could have dinner with one person alive or dead, real or fictional (not just authors) who would it be and why.
My Nana who passed away last June.

I'm not going to go into this one because it scares some people away.

Lots. My main goal in life is to grow old and not regret the choices I made when I was younger.

12. Male or female.
Female.

13. Music Right now.
Rob Lamothe - Being Human.

14. Age.

Lady Lenox
February 2nd, 2003, 09:08 PM
:p Hey! I know you, Jaysi...I know a few of you.

The Moonbridge

JRR Tolkien

(Too Many to list)...Bend it like Beckham...

Don't have one. Chilipeppers, maybe.

Luthien Tinuviel, Alex Cross...and others

I wrote a quest full of people I know which was fun.

Most stories I write if I can be bothered are about people I know, so none of them are really my own.

It's fun. I'm a huge daydreamer and alot of my thoughts are around sf/f so it pulls me into those worlds/genres. It's wonderful on the imagination and a great place to escape to.

That would make me cry if I told you

I've had lots of those, but they're always when I'm around friends.

Something that can help someone in some way, even if it's a small thing.

12. Male or female.
Female...well at least I was, last time I checked.

13. Music Right now.
It's all quiet right now

14. Age.

Eldanuumea
February 2nd, 2003, 10:02 PM
I know it is cheesy, but the Holy Bible

Tolkien

Oscar and Lucinda

Jeferson Airplane or Led Zeppelin

The female protagonist in The Dollmaker tied with Ender Wiggins.

"Thorongil in Rohan"

Laia.....just sentimental reasons.

They allow us to create/enter worlds beyond our own.

Viggo Mortensen

Obvious choices: marriage, birth of children
Most recent "best moment": the day a certain forum friend first I-M'd me and introduced me to what online relationships could be.

To end my life still married to the same man.