SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9

Pantalimon
February 3rd, 2003, 06:31 AM
1. Favourite Single Book of all time.
I never been able to decide between 3 books (Asimovs "End of Eternity" Brontes "Wuthering heights" & Miltons "Paradise lost")

2. Favourite Author of all time.
Asimov

3. Favourite Movie of all time.
Star Wars (a new hope) Well I was 5 at the time so Its imprinted on me like a family member, I really like Excalibar especially the humor like when merlin is trying to catch the fish and Arthur is looking at Lancealot and a whole host of other movies.

4. Favourite Band of all time.
CUD disbanded but you can still get their stuff, simply the best, singles :- magic, purple love balloon, robinson crusoe, best albums :- When in Rome Kill Me, Leggy Mambo and Elvis Belt

5. Your favourite fictional character of all time.
Pantalimon from Phillip Pullmans "His dark materials" trilogy

6. Your favourite story that you yourself have written.
I paint pretty pictures not pretty words

7. Your favourite character that you yourself have created and why.
(I'll take this as created drawn etc) female knight (no name)

8. Explain in a few paragraphs why you love the SF/F genres.
They fly in the face of high brow literature (which I love) and especially critics who get all mopey about this stuff.

9. If you could have dinner with one person alive or dead, real or fictional (not just authors) who would it be an why.
A repeat of Jaysi's answer but add my own grandma

10. The best moment in your life so far.
First lucid dream as an adult was pretty special, best man at best mates wedding, Thailand on thai newyear dancing in the green mango club to a mixture of techno and industrial metal music in a foot of water soaked and covered in flour paste whilst Terminator played on a giant screen. Running round a forest in Yorkshire completely off my head ending up talking to trees rather than drawing them as I'd been suppose to on the foundation art corse feild trip (I was only 18 we learn) One of the worst moments came a few hours later when I had to explain the reason why I'd buried my sketch pad in the forest. Actually following on the running through a forest theme, running through a private forest with a pack of dogs (about 8 of them boxer dogs) at full pelt for a mile or so, age 17 a real rush to be ahead of a pack like that.

11. What you still wish to achieve.
Make more money than just enough to survive.

12. Male or female.
Thank the maker I'm a man :D

13. Music Right now.
LemonJelly track called "soft" which is fabulous, its basically I chilled mix of the classic Bread song (if you leave me now (I think)). This guy with a Yorkshire accent says "I have come to realise in recent years that there is only one word that can express my faith" and then they cut in the bread single going "OooOoooO" and he keeps on talking about the word and faith and they keep cutting in with "OooOoooO" and then it builds up to the biggining of the bread song which is great anyway and they have cut it far better.

14. Age.
30 (and staying this age, not moving from this spot....... although I did try that for 29 and it never worked)

Jaysi
February 3rd, 2003, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Lady Lenox
:p Hey! I know you, Jaysi...I know a few of you.

I'm guessing Luthy.

Pantalimon
February 3rd, 2003, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by Jaysi

I'm guessing Luthy.
I'm guessing your right!

Lady Lenox
February 4th, 2003, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Jaysi

I'm guessing Luthy.

Yah, pretty much. 90% of time, Lady Lenox is Luthi...

Sammie
February 4th, 2003, 12:54 PM
Hey guys! Lovely to see all these new faces - but perhaps you could take the id-matching to your new bar thread, please? We do try to keep the threads in here roughly on topic, these days!

Thanks

Sammie.

Ahighstar
February 4th, 2003, 02:49 PM
The Lord of the Rings

JRR Tolkien, Ann McCaffrey

The Bone Collector

Don't have one.

Rojer Raven-Lyon

That's funny. I can't write stories.

No existant

It's a great play on the imagination

9. If you could have dinner with one person alive or dead, real or fictional (not just authors) who would it be an why.
I don't know

When my bf asked me out...very romantic

A happy life

12. Male or female.
Female. Well at least I think so.

13. Music Right now.
Well, the phone is ringing at the moment, does that count?

14. Age.

Hereford Eye
February 4th, 2003, 09:04 PM
Toss-up: Stranger in a Strange Land. In 1962 when I read it, I was 21, wearing a uniform, and beginning to learn about life instead of passing through. RAH was a hell of teacher. But then in the 80s I discovered Mike Resnick and his Santiago was the first book I ever wished I'd written.
Heinlein, Card, and Resnick
The Maginificent Seven
The Kingston Trio
Sebastian Nightingale Cain or Black Orpheus
My first novel - unpublished - Buying Time
The nameless clerk in Buying Time. Unpretentious, unsophisticated, ready to do what's right because it has to be done.
Because for 50 years they went places where no one else was going to show me the ramifications of ideas that no one else was having. I learned the word ecology in Galaxy magazine in the 60s long before it was absconded with by the environmentalists; I learned equal rights from JRR Tolkien without his saying a word; I finally met a feminist in Eowyn who made sense to me; I found McCaffery and Cherryh and Tepper to help me try to understand an "other" view of life. There are others out there, Amy Tan, Rebecca Wells, Laura Zigman, Annie Proux but the women of SF were there long before.
There is no contest - the lady who has shared my dinners for the past 33.5 years. But if you mean someone I would not in the ordinary course of events have the opportunity to dine with, then
Holbrook - cause I want to trade stories about stories.
Waking up in a hospital bed in 1998 to find the lady in my life waiting for me.
I want to write my next three novels.

Eldanuumea
February 4th, 2003, 09:57 PM
And a very, very lucky lady she is, too.
(The nameless clerk is quite an engaging character!)

Coconut Ent
February 10th, 2003, 07:12 AM
So this is where all of you exiled sf-fandomers have been lurking!! I went to Entmoot.tolkientrail.com, where SGH and afro-elf are, and a bird told me most of the sf-fandom Exiles are here!! And no one saw feet to tell me?

Oh how I pined, yes, pined!! And oaked, mapled, spruced, baobabbed and treed for you all....

BAck on topic:
Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever. I dunno, I guess the hero's a reflection of me in my hard times.

(Hmmmmm..... not sure anymore)

Andromeda Strain

Don't have one. I like lots of them. Pffftt!!

Treebeard. And Saltheart Foamfollower. (Just because someone (Covenant) is like me doesn't mean I like him!!)

(I never finished any.... pffftt!!)

I never finished it but.... it's a scholar-adventurer-chronicler (similar in tradition to ibn Fadhlan, Marco Polo,
and Herodotus) in ancient times named Zurna. A lover of old lore and secrets, smoewhat eccentric. Explorer of ruins and seeker of stars.

I can't stand reality. Too much like soap opera!! There you have it.

Bushaq the Gastronomer. (Look him up!!) I'd get to stuff my face while listening to his comical poems comparing mysticism with food.

I don't remember. Hmmmm......

Enlightenment.

Eldanuumea
February 10th, 2003, 08:25 AM
CoCo!! I didn't have your address!! Oh, you have no idea how happy I am to see you, sweetie!:D If you trip on over to the Friendly Arm, at the Playroom forum, There will be a drink on my tab waiting for you! You're just in time to participate in our pre-Mardi Gras feast!!