New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9]

Kamakhya
February 10th, 2003, 02:37 PM
1. Favourite Single Book of all time.

The Left Hand of Darkness, The Dispossessed

2. Favourite Author of all time.

Ursula K. Leguin. Not so much because I love everything she has written, but it was her that showed me many a year ago, that SF was not the sole realm of men.

3. Favourite Movie of all time.

The Graduate, The Fellowship of the Ring, Harold and Maude

4. Favourite Band of all time.

David Bowie, The Talking Heads (and David Byrne), REM

5. Your favourite fictional character of all time.

Too many to choose from.

6. Your favourite story that you yourself have written.

N/A

7. Your favourite character that you yourself have created and why.

N/A

8. Explain in a few paragraphs why you love the SF/F genres.

It is a great way to explore the human condition in unlimited settings. I love to think about where we are going and what may happen.

9. If you could have dinner with one person alive or dead, real or fictional (not just authors) who would it be an why.

Egads...so many to choose from...Ghandi, Kali, Darwin, Margaret Mead, the entire cast of Monty Python's Flying Circus, Dracula, Plato, gosh, I could just go on and on.

10. The best moment in your life so far.

While I can't say the birth of my daughter was the best moment, we have shared so many special moments since then, I would be hard pressed to pick one.

11. What you still wish to achieve.

To find happiness, to travel around the world, and to figure out what I want to be when I grow up.

12. Male or female.

Female.

13. Music Right now.

None.

14. Age.

GC_Punk_Manthy
February 12th, 2003, 09:16 PM

The whole LotR trilogy, Scribbler of Dreams, Dove and Sword.

J.R.R. Tolkien

Can't just choose one. Um..The Two Towers, Fellowship of the Ring, Kate and Leopold, Serendipity, Superstar.

Good Charlotte, Puddle of Mudd, Goo Goo Dolls, Simple Plan, All American Rejects, Aerosmith, Bon Jovi, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Garbage, New Found Glory, The Vines.....

Sailor Moon, Aragorn, Frodo, Sam.

Like Luthy (Lady Lenox) said, a quest full of people.

N/A

Because they spread you're imagination. Very creative, and cool.

9. If you could have dinner with one person alive or dead, real or fictional (not just authors) who would it be an why.

Can't choose just one person. Either John Ronald Ruel Tolkien (because he is an amazing author!), or Elijah Wood (he's one cupcake, and pretty good actor) ;)

Too many.

To become the best that I can be.

12. Age?

I am the mere age of 13. Heh.

13. Gender?

Girl.

14. Music right now?

Good Charlotte (on my MP3 player)

And, I am new here. I'm one of the 'fandom' people. ;) :D

Ozzie
February 20th, 2003, 04:53 PM
*thank gods for threads like this.......they help a newbie no end dont'cha know:) *

(I'm gonna have to split this up into respecitive genre)

LotR Tolkien/The Forever War Haldemaan/Sophie's World Gaarder/The Wasp Factory Banks/King Rat Clavell/Mort Pratchett/Trainspotting Welsh.

*Thinks about it*
*Brain implodes*

Fantasy: Excalibur
Sci-fi:The Empire Strikes Back
Other: Surburbia

Newish: Levellers. Nirvana.
Oldies: Punk, punk and punk...with a dab of Led Zep. Rolling Stones and The Who.

Elric of Melnibone

It's still under construction. Faveourite finished story is Longlost (non-fantasy).

A 26yr old medieval-style footsoldier....no special abilities, just a normal bloke.....it's been a challenge and a great deal of fun writing about a character who is just a "normal" joe in strange circumstances.

I was weaned on it (mom read the Narnia chronicles to me from the age of 4yrs up). I was then given a bag of books by an elder cousin when I was 8......the books included the Elric series, Howards Conan books and Heinliens Citizen of the Galaxy....that was the year I sold my soul to the gods of fiction:D

Billy Connely - Funniest bloke on planet mud
Oliver Reed - We seem to have shared a few interests
Marianne Faithful - The 60's revisited

.........is still to come

Having kids
Omnipotence
Inventer of the first working hangover cure
To become a better poet

12 gender?

I have dangly bits

13 music?

White Stripes at the moment

14 age?

Kaz
February 21st, 2003, 12:54 AM
Favourite Single Book of All Time : The Pillars of the Earth (followed by The World according to Garp, A prayer for Owen Meany, The Power of One, The Hobbit, H - The Autobiography of a child prostitue & heroin addict, Fiela se Kind, Kringe in die Bos, Griet skryf 'n Sprokie - the last 3 are local)

Favourite Author of All Time : Ken Follet; John Irving; John Grisham; Bryce Courtenay

Favourite Movie of All Time : Once were Warriors, The Usual Suspects

Favourite Band of All Time : Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Queen, Pink Floyd, Counting Crows. Garbage, Placebo

Favourite Fictional Character : *too much thinking causes headache* - PK in Power of One.............. really powerful character who, despite all the obstacles thrown his way still comes out on top - sort of a broken hero, by no means perfect but so easy to relate to & laugh & cry with

Favourite story you have ever written : don't write stories anymore, I write more poetry, personal favourite is called Recover Me (daft I know...)

Favourite character you yourself have created & why : I write more of own experience, so I don't really create characters

Why I love the s/f genre : It's more real than many "true" stories & a welcome release..............love the whole good vs evil thing & all the what if's...............

If you could have dinner with 1 person, dead or alive............................ : Hitler (to find out what the hell he was thinking...); Barney the Dinosaur & all the Telletubbies (to kill them all in one go & rid the world of them once & for all); Jacques & Izaad (to hear them laugh one last time)

Best moment in your life so far : too many to mention & looking forward to adding to the list

What you still wish to achieve : Having a family of my own; starting my own business; making peace with a certain someone

Gender : I am not cursed with dangly bits (stole that 1 from Ozzie - sorry ;) )

Music........ : At the moment I'm listening to a lot of POD & Live (along with the old favourites)

Blizzaurel
April 3rd, 2003, 07:48 PM
ALRIGHT EVERYONE... THIS THREAD WAS GREAT!!!

juzzza has such a talent for creating them :D

anyways, i'm trying to revive it... so here's mine:

Favourite Single Book of All Time: Siddhartha, by Herman Hesse

Favourite Author: John Steinbeck, maybe...? Tolkien... ahh it's too hard

Favourite Movie: Braveheart, American History X, Lord of the Rings, Requiem for a Dream... there are way too many

Favourite Fictional Character: Vanyel Ashkevron

Favourite story I wrote... none such exist yet :(

Favourite Character you created: ditto

Why I love SFF? Because it allows me to believe in virtues and in ideals I find diffcult to identify in our world

If I could have dinner with any one person, dead or alive... Steve Prefontaine (my favorite runner) or Buddha... tough choice haha

Best moment in your life so far: Maybe getting 3rd at States in Cross-country as a sophomore... but maybe not, i hate to say it was a sporting event, i'm sure there's something else i'm missing

What you still wish to achieve? Family, fame, doing something great for the world

Music, favourite band: Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band, dude, HE ROCKS!

Dystran Hart
April 5th, 2003, 08:43 AM
I may have to put slightly more than one for these answers as I dont have a best anything hehe,

Catch 22 by Heller
His dark materials by Pullman
Silmarillion - Tolkien

No fave - currently love michael Marshall Smith though

Not sure, but excluding older classics -
Stephen Kind IT was great
My favourite genre are epics (ala braveheart, the postman etc).

Radiohead, Muse and Chilli Peppers.

Not sure - Ender from the Ender saga was great - child to death.

Yes to write hehe

N/A

There are unlimited possibilities for an author whereas other genres more things will be more consistent with other novels.

Not sure. But I respect those that live their lives making an effort to never negatively affect anyone else, and those that help others because they generally like to and not to make themselves feel better.

No best moment, but seeing other happy makes me happy! so i suppos eothr peoples birthdays and celebrations :)

To continue to spend as much time as possible doing things that I enjoy.

Lucky Joe
April 6th, 2003, 03:39 AM
Not Sure, Maybe Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb.

Toughie, Hobb at the moment, but that might change to Steven Erikson soon.

Fight Club.

4. Favourite and of all time.
Jamiroquai

An Alien Affair.

A wizard called James who sits around staring into space and claims to be a student of the Universe.

It takes you places you otherwise couldn't go.

Charlize Theron, I'd try and get her drunk and invite her back to my place.

Leaving England to live in Australia.

Dinner with Charlize Theron.
Oh and publishing my books.

MrKip
April 14th, 2003, 06:56 AM
1. Favourite single book of all time:
Lord of the Rings - it started off my entire interest in reading let alone fantasy

2. Favourite author of all time:
Raymond Feist - not content with creating one world in a book he goes for two

3. Favourite movie of all time:
The Great Escape - duh dah, duh daah duh du duh...

4. Favourite band of all time:
Radiohead - Lets record one of the most influential albums ever, and then record two albums worth of free form jazz electronica...and get away with it

5. Favourite fictional charector ever:
Tyrion Lannister - a dwarf with brains

6. Favourite story written:
A convoluted affair I wrote years ago involving a private dectective and football club sponsered gang violence

7. Favourite charector you created:
Jack Lazarus - librarion by the name of Colin Jeffers during the week but weekend supersleuth with a penchent for ginger beer

8. Explain why you love SF/F:
I have no idea but I think it may be the whole escapist gig

9. Who would you go to dinner with:
Karl Marx - to ask him what the hell we're supposed to do now;)

10. Best moment so far in life:
Playing my first ever gig

11. What you still wish to achieve:
I'm perfectly content but being finacially secure and still perfectly content would be even better

fluffy bunny
November 20th, 2003, 09:01 PM
I loved this thread when it 1st came out, and I'm going to bump it for all those new folk out there.

Treasure Island, the Stars my Destination or The Count of Monte Cristo I think- my tastes vary depending on my mood (but quite a few of the books on the BBC big read are appealing

I've got a nasty habit of swapping authors all the time- I'll get back to you

Casablanca

I'm always swapping this one, but it'd probably be Dylan or the Beatles. Mainly ost types of rock (from the 'soft' stuff to the metal)

I'm not really a visionary- I soak up other people's ideas. Don't think I've written any fiction since I was 8 or 9 now. Scary

I do have some kick a** dreams where my imagination runs wild, but for some reason 5 mins after I've gotten up, I've forgotten them. All that's left is the 'that was good' phase. As for fiction characters, see 6.

Well genre wise, I like them all, but SF is the realm of 'what ifs.' It's not something that many other genres can recreate. As for fantasy- the ones I like are the ones that tap into that part of you that loved fairy tales as a child- the fables rather than the sword and sorcery stuff. Childhood wonder probably

To be honest I'd just spend it with family and friends- I can't really say I've got any heroes - just ideals.

I don't think I've got a specific moment in my life that stands out so far- I treasure all my memories, both good and bad. If the question had been 'would you change anything so far' I'd have said no. I've done some stupid things, but without them I wouldn't be me. Best moment?- all of them

getting this coursework finished for tommorow. Seriously, it'd be to find someone and raise a family- but that's way too far into the future.

12. Gender: Despite the username, I'm a bloke

13. Music at the moment
Nirvana: Smells like teen spirit (1st track on the nevermind album)

14: Age