View Full Version : Me, Myself and I...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

juzzza
August 1st, 2002, 01:30 PM
I've been lurking the halls of these forums for a while now but only started posting a week or so ago.

In a short amount of time I have received some great feedback and have read many of your opinions with interest. There has been the odd Qin now and then but on the whole the contributors, mods and members are informed, intelligent and perhaps most important... Interesting and helpful.

My one frustration is that profiles are limited and many of you choose to leave blank some of the entries. So, I thought it would be cool if members who read this thread, leave answers to the following questions as a way for me and anyone else who happens along, to get to know you (or at least your pseudonym).

1. Favourite Single Book of all time.
2. Favourite Author of all time.
3. Favourite Movie of all time.
4. Favourite Band of all time.
5. Your favourite fictional character of all time.
6. Your favourite story that you yourself have written.
7. Your favourite character that you yourself have created and why.
8. Explain in a few paragraphs why you love the SF/F genres.
9. If you could have dinner with one person alive or dead, real or fictional (not just authors) who would it be an why.
10. The best moment in your life so far.
11. What you still wish to achieve.

Holbrook
August 1st, 2002, 01:45 PM

The forever War, Joe Haldeman

Sorry, love too many to name one....

ditto to above

ditto, boring arn't I *g*

Sherlock Holmes

The Hat Man.

Albert in the Hat Man, because he happens to be in my head 90% of the time

impossible they are books are they not, I eat, sorry read books

9. If you could have dinner with one person alive or dead, real or fictional (not just authors) who would it be an why.

Elizabeth I, because she would have some great stories to tell over the brandy and cigars

two moments really the birth of both my children

Get the 500, 000 three book deal, sell the film rights to Dreamworks for a cool 1 millon and have 10% of the sales of the toys!! Continue to grow old disgracefully....

Sammie
August 1st, 2002, 03:09 PM
i can't really answer any of these 'favorite' questions specifically - it's just too hard to choose, so i'm just going to put down the first 2 or 3 that i love that come into my head:

John Wyndham - The Chrysalids
Daphne Du Maurier - Frenchman's Creek
A A Milne - Winnie-the-Pooh

A A Milne? Winston Graham? There are far too many and i love them all for different reasons

The one i've watched the most often is Prince of Thieves (Costner). Most fav recently probably Black Hawk Down. Not sure though.

This is currently probably Skunk Anansie - or maybe Garbage. Subject to change without notice

Right now it's Orlando from Otherland. But i only just finished reading it so he's still vivid in my mind. before that, it was probably Raif from JVJ's Cavern of Black Ice. Or maybe Jon Snow from SoIaF. These questions are too hard! Although there does seem to be a bit of a theme there, now that i think about it - and one that i find a little concerning!

6. Your favourite story that you yourself have written. - N/A
7. Your favourite character that you yourself have created and why. - N/A

Why i love reading? Escapism. Why i love sf/f? EXCITING escapism.

Josh Hartnett. This does not need explaining. I am not an especially ''deep'' person :).

My life is just one long great moment. Honest. :)

To be a top consultant orthopaedic surgeon with four kids, a gorgeous bloke, and an indoor swimming pool. :D

If Juzzza doesn't mind could i add a couple of questions? Tell you what - I'll just go ahead and add 'em & see what happens!

12. Are you male or female? (something that's often not apparent)
I am DEFINITELY a girl :)

13. Are you listening to any music right now? If so, what and why?
Me = yes. i'm listening to my new CD by The Calling, to see is it's any good.

Don't forget to post your own answers, Juzza!

Solaar
August 1st, 2002, 03:25 PM

Ummm... really enjoyed Magician, and various early King

Fiest...? Oh, and Asimov.

"He say yoo Braderunner..."

Pearl Jam, the Doors, Dire Straits, Korn, some Slipknot... just bands? I also love DJs - Steve Lawler, Ralph Lawson, lots of drum and Bass (peshay, LTJ, et al), and a Tribe Called Quest, Q-Tip, Clockers soundtrack, progressive techno - dark and dirty house... shall I go on?

Hmmm.... Conan? No, probably not...

Close Encounters of the Small Kind - published 1996? (a short story)

Bexton Spiller... because he is just a guy you'd probably know.

No, because you'd get bored.
In summary - it's just escapism.

Q-Tip or Hitler... hey, thats pretty extreme...

Just my two kids in general.

A published novel.

juzzza
August 1st, 2002, 03:26 PM
That's true!!! I called the thread 'Me, Myself and I' then forgot to talk about myself, how English!!!

Druss The Legend (Action, Easy to read, great characters)

Well, lots but I own every one of David Gemmell's books. I also love GRR Martin, a lot more complex but still great.

Matrix on an even par with LOTR and the 13th Warrior.

Jeff Buckley

Druss

Spirit Sword of Lee-Taga (novel) Arthur's Tavern (Short Story)

Kenta. The guy is covered neck down with tattooes using dragon blood ink that makes him extremely hard to kill!!!

I just have to read a daily newspaper to see the horror in the real world, no wonder I want to emerge myself in beautiful worlds with great characters and something almost forgotten on this planet...Honour.

An elf woman from LOTR, any really as long as they are stunning and glow like in the movie.

And perhaps Jeff Buckley.

Same as Holbrook, well, not the birth of his children, the birth of mine obviously.

Success through writing or music.

12. Are you male or female?

Male

13. Music right now?

The new Chilli Peppers and Puddle of Mud

There you go. Feel free to add questions for the next unfortunate traveller who falls into this sinking sand of a thread!!!
:D

14. Age (if you want to) I am 28

Sammie
August 1st, 2002, 03:35 PM
I called the thread 'Me, Myself and I' then forgot to talk about myself, how English!!!

Hey! Watch it!

14 - Age: This is my fifth day of being 20. :)

(Chillis and Puddle of Mud = cool, btw)

Lifino
August 1st, 2002, 04:00 PM
The Amber Series, by Roger Zelazny. First 5 books, second set of 5(the Merlin Chron.) aren't as good.

Roger Zelazny, just blew me away... There is also; Rudolf von Bitter Rucker who wrote:Geometry, Relativity & the Fourth Dimension. This book was sort of like my own bible in highschool. Some very thought provoking theories!

The Shawshank Redemption. All the right elements, and Tim Robbins was a great pick to play Dufresne.

King Crimson. - song? One More Red Nightmare, excelent drums...

I guess I'll go with Corwin from Zelazny's Amber books, or Julian. Heck, most the Princes of Amber. Random was great, Eric had style... Oberon and Dworkin were both pretty cool characters too...

Haven't really completed/named any of them... I guess 'Through Their Eyes.' Only just now starting with it, but it has the most potential...

Haven't started writting his story yet. He has a very interesting life and a sort of unique magic system... Just haven't built up the courage to start ruining my own personal fantasy. That's why I'm working/practicing on some of my other(shorter) ideas.

[paragraphs? This'll become a long thread...] I have a laundry list of "Learning Disabilities" that includes just about everything in the text book. Back when I was about 12 I had a private tutor through the summer, she challenged me to read a book a week and she'd take me to a movie at the end of the summer. I did it and have since forgotten what movie we saw. I've been hooked on reading ever since.

I started with Sci-Fi, mostly Asimov, Heinlein, Clarke, and some of the other 'Greats' of the 60s. I really responded to the war of the worlds themes... Then I began to branch off into some other sci-fi, but ultimately I just couldn't stand how, 'a dull glow came over the view screen... The ship had gone into Hyper-Mega-Over-Drive and within hours would be approaching Some-Mega-Cool-Nitro-Ultra-Planet where we could expect a warm welcome(snicker snicker) from the Space Port Police who were sure to be expecting us...' It just became too cheese filled and didn't fit into my interests...

I wandered genres for a while and refined my tastes more to the Fantasy, swords and horses, type of stories. I could accept magik over hyper-drive.

My Mother. She died in a plane crash a few years ago, I was 19 at the time. Not that there was anything left unsaid, just she was my best friend and I'm missing he today more than usual...

This morning, my 4 yr. old Daughter looked at me and said, "I love you Daddy." While I was dropping her off at Day Care. One of those random ones, where you don't do anything to bring it on, they just pop out with it and surprise you! She's good like that... My little Elora Blue

That's the toughest in the list! I'm pretty easy... I've got a great wife, and 1 kid so far, hopefully more soon... Plans are in order for a house, I'm driving a car that I love and will only get rid of when I can upgrade to the better model of the same thing!

I suppose I'd like to get some real time in with racing my car. Or better yet a car owned by someone else. Always wanted to get into Shifter Karts...

Then one of my other hobbies(all my hobbies take lots of time!) is building scale models, the plastic kind... I always think about writing reviews of the models I'm working on, then maybe trying to get one published... I guess I'd see that as a goal, to get published in a scale model builders magazine... Of course I'd use the British spelling of words like Colour! Just for style;)

After that I always figured that when I get to be big and rich and have bed sheets made out of money I'd hire a private Chef who would make me beans and rice when ever I wanted. Only the Gourmet Beans and Rice though...

[Editing in 12, 13, 14...]
12 gender?
Male

13 music?
Some crappy satalite music they pipe in here at work(yes I'm at work and spilling my heart out! I'm alone right now, and intensly bored after a morning full of head-aches!)

14 age?
27 on the 5th of Aug! Wish me a happy b-day... What do I want? You ask? Perhaps you could send me some Pron!

-Silas

juzzza
August 1st, 2002, 04:10 PM
If you can write an article, short story or novel with the feeling that went into those answers, you will be published without a shadow of a doubt.

It took five minutes to write this reply because I had to go upstairs and kiss my kids!!!:)

I can't believe this is the same guy asking to smurfin smurf or CROMMMMMMMMM

This thread rules, we're bondin' YEEEEEEHAAAAAAAA

Holbrook
August 1st, 2002, 04:13 PM
In addition......

No 12 gender...

pass ;)

No 13 Music....

What's in the machine at the time, it's shakira, "shock" "horror", well, working on Albert's chapter breakdown for submission to publishers

14. Age...

pushing fifty, so watch it kids, OAP in the house lol

trentdick2882
August 1st, 2002, 04:23 PM
A Scanner Darkly by Philip K. Dick OR Imajica by Clive Barker
Philip K. Dick, I'm a dickhead through and through
Blade Runner
Tool, going to see them next week!
blah
blah