PDA

View Full Version : Comedy

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

juzzza
August 1st, 2002, 04:31 PM
Well, I've learned a lot while on this forum, thanks guys but I have something else that could benefit from your opinions.

COMEDY

My adventures in Pron (see Taboo Subject thread) :D are well documented but another area I have found extremely hard to introduce into my writing well, is comedy.

I completed a short story called 'The Comedian' and tried to use the main charater as a vehicle for introducing some jokes I had written. The jokes work in an audience situation because I have tried them but I was really disappointed with the outcome of my story.

I think fantasy comedy or horror comedy or any comedy for that matter must be really hard genres. Does anyone write comedy into their work in this forum (SF/F or Horror that is) and can anyone recommed good comedy authors apart from Pratchett (spelling?)

Loque
August 1st, 2002, 05:04 PM
Um, I've tried a bit, I could send you an example if you like.

Comedy sci-fi/fantasy authors?

well, i'm not sure if you ommitted to mention him cos you think he's too obvious but Douglas Adams!!!
If you haven't read Hitchhikers and Dirk gently then, well, you're deprived and you should read them first chance you get.

Otherwise:

Fantasy - Tom Holt
Sci-fi - Robert Rankin

juzzza
August 1st, 2002, 05:07 PM
Yea send some, or post some examples of what you have done.

I have read Hitchhiker's and I left out the Red Dwarf crew too.

Thanks for the other recommendations.

Lifino
August 1st, 2002, 07:25 PM
I'd also suggest Spider Robinson's books titled, Callahan's Cross Time Saloon.

Very funny, and broken up into a bunch of short stand alone stories, each taking place around a central 'theme.' Or to put it more accurately, a glimpse of a bunch o drunks in a bar.

I strayed when Callahan found his little lady...

-Silas

milamber_reborn
August 3rd, 2002, 12:26 AM
I've never read Red Dwarf, but the series is damn funny. Subtle humor is easy enough to write. Don't know about full-on comedy.

Holbrook
August 3rd, 2002, 05:13 AM
I have used humour in my writing. In fact there is a thick streak of it running through this whole story. The first chapter of which is here.

http://www.sffworld.com/authors/a/adams_holbrook/fiction/hatman1.html

Some of it "pokes" fun at fantasy novels in general the rest at humanity and the world at large....

I find it breaks the "action" nicely up especially later in the story...

juzzza
August 3rd, 2002, 07:23 PM
Um, Holbrook. I thought I was supposed to be the 'sick' one?

First of all let me say, thank you for providing that link, I really enjoyed Hat Man. Nicely written and I enjoyed the fight scenes in particular.

I must say that I didn't pick up on the humour. That may be because I was expecting huge gags after your post here, but no, I thought your characters were quite witty, is that what you mean?

:confused:

Holbrook
August 4th, 2002, 02:38 AM
Yes, I suppose it's more the odd sly chuckle than a belly laugh. :D

And I am not "sick" just realistic :p

Loque
August 19th, 2002, 02:33 PM
ok, sorry it took so long, but i didnt realise it had already gone up, here's an example of me trying to write comedy

http://www.sffworld.com/authors/p/prior_ed/fiction/lightningsword1.html