View Full Version : A better Dungeons & Dragons movie

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Zackery Arbela
February 14th, 2011, 06:48 PM
Just for laughs, I took a look at the Dungeons & Dragons movie that cane out about ten years back to are if age has improved any. I can honestly say that in all fair honesty it has actually gotten worse. D&D the movie is a prime example of why the fantasy movie is so often an object of derision...not a so-bad-it's-good piece of camp, but a so bad it's a piece of drek that rightly deserves to he forgotten. I mean, a Wayans brother? Seriously? And how can Jeremy Irons sleep at night with such a hammy stinker of a performance? He's one of the best actors in the world, he could have at least tried to make an effort... It's one of the rare instances I can think of where the direct-to-DVD sequel is actually better...

That being said, if it could be done again, how should it be done so that it doesn't actually become a monumental embarrassment? Or even be, dare I say it, awesome?

Orbison
February 14th, 2011, 06:56 PM
They already did it again... Dungeons & Dragons 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons:_Wrath_of_the_Dragon_God)

Ah, I see you've mentioned it though.

That said, I don't think there will be a light-hearted action fantasy film for a long time, especially not a D&D one. There's so much stigma surrounding that brand name that it'll never do well at the box office.

newfiesailor
February 14th, 2011, 08:16 PM
They already did it again... Dungeons & Dragons 2 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeons_%26_Dragons:_Wrath_of_the_Dragon_God)

Ah, I see you've mentioned it though.

That said, I don't think there will be a light-hearted action fantasy film for a long time, especially not a D&D one. There's so much stigma surrounding that brand name that it'll never do well at the box office.

http://www.wired.com/geekdad/2010/12/new-dd-movie-needs-your-character/

Oh yes, there's a new D&D movie. And a contest that surely portends the crap it will be.:eek:

Aktunka
February 14th, 2011, 11:34 PM
The Dragonlance Chronicles has all of the elements to be as good, or better, than the Lord of the Rings in movie format if it was in the hands of a great director with some solid financial backing. Unfortunately, unless one of these great directors that can get things done were to champion the project, we will never see it. We will instead just get more of the garbage like the previously mentioned garbage.

saintjon
February 15th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Yeah instead they make some crummy cartoon. If all you want to do is make a bad cartoon why not out-source to some asians who will at least make a halfways good cartoon?

Loerwyn
February 15th, 2011, 12:05 PM
D&D2: The Elemental Might/Wrath of the Dragon God was absolutely brilliant, IMHO. It really had that D&D feel to it, along with a relatively well-cast group of characters. It was certainly better than the original, though.

If it's done again, I'd say it'd have to follow one of the existing settings; Probably the Forgotten Realms one as it's one of the more well known ones - And somehow tie it to that.

JimF
February 15th, 2011, 04:23 PM
I know I am in the minority opinion on this, esp among my gamer friends, but I loved the first D&D movie. Call it a guilty pleasure, or even a lapse in taste, but it entertained me.

Jim

Loerwyn
February 15th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I know I am in the minority opinion on this, esp among my gamer friends, but I loved the first D&D movie. Call it a guilty pleasure, or even a lapse in taste, but it entertained me.
It had... Uh... Some good moments, maybe, but it wasn't great. Some of the props were really tacky, too, such as that Elven lady's breastplate. It looked ridiculously plastic.

The ending made less sense than something that makes absolutely no sense at all.

Zackery Arbela
February 15th, 2011, 06:38 PM
D&D2: The Elemental Might/Wrath of the Dragon God was absolutely brilliant, IMHO. It really had that D&D feel to it, along with a relatively well-cast group of characters. It was certainly better than the original, though.

If it's done again, I'd say it'd have to follow one of the existing settings; Probably the Forgotten Realms one as it's one of the more well known ones - And somehow tie it to that.

Personally, I'd prefer if it were set in Greyhawk (have place in my heart for oldest and greatest of campaign worlds...) But knowing Hollywood, it would end up like Willow of Eragon either way...two more of Fantasy's Unspoken Cinematic Embarrassments...

One other thing...it has to have Megan Fox. Don't care if she can act or not. Put a sword in her hands before a pile of dead orcs (preferably alongside Jason Monoa...he's playing Conan and Khla Drogo in Game of Thrones, so he has the chops...) and the movie is made...

Loerwyn
February 16th, 2011, 01:08 PM
One other thing...it has to have Megan Fox. Don't care if she can act or not. Put a sword in her hands before a pile of dead orcs (preferably alongside Jason Monoa...he's playing Conan and Khla Drogo in Game of Thrones, so he has the chops...) and the movie is made...
No.

I think I'd rather be strapped to a chair la A Clockwork Orange and forced to watch the first D&D movie three times than have to deal with Megan Fox.