PDA

View Full Version : Those Incorrigible Borg

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Cygnus
August 2nd, 2002, 04:19 PM
I swear I must be the Queen of Lame Posts, but I just can't help it. Someone has to create the balance so all those intelligent and thought-provking posts seem so much more meaningful!

Anyway, I am a big Next Generation and Voyager (go ahead and boo, it won't phase me!) fan, but there is something that drives me crazy about both. Everyone knows that the Borg can adapt their little body shields or whatever to phaser fire within about two shots, yet in all the episodes and movies, people are always firing at them. Wouldn't this be an excellent time to revert to some "oldies but goodies" as far as weapons go? I imagine a cross-bow would work quite well. I'm no expert on swords, but I can see that being effective as well. It just seems stupid that all anyone carries into a fight with the Borg are phasers.

Ahhh.. I feel so much better now that I have that out.

ChrisW
August 3rd, 2002, 08:27 AM
umm just normal guns with bullets work. No need to use bows and swords.

estranghero
August 3rd, 2002, 09:57 AM
LOL Cynus, that's true. Wonder why nobody at Voyager ever thinks of that.

Unless you have to hit the right spot on a Borg body? Do Borg have vital parts to hit?

Cygnus
August 3rd, 2002, 12:41 PM
Do they have guns and bullets in the era of Voyager and Star Trek? I don't think I've ever seen one used. I guess I just like the visual image of Picard loping off a Borg head with a giant sword. More dramatic that just shooting. As for vital areas.. I don't know. I've seen episodes where they get killed with those big Kligon blades, so I guess if you get through their suit, you can kill them.

I can't believe I'm actually having this discussion. :)

Loque
August 11th, 2002, 10:45 AM
Have you seen First Contact? Picard takes down some drones with a tommy gun in the holodeck and Worf kills one with his M'k'leth (sp?)
Idont see any reason why Starfleet personnel couldnt replicate these weapons to use against the collective.
Then again, why cant a drones personal shield adapt to these? Surely a forcefield can stop a bullet or a blade?

ChrisW
August 11th, 2002, 09:24 PM
Yeah thats why I said guns:D. The borg shielding only works against er laser beams and stuff and not solid objects. Er well I guess that's how they work as you can punch a borg.

Loque
August 12th, 2002, 06:39 PM
Yeah Cal, I guessed you had :) and I'd always kind of accepted that bullets and blades would work until one day it occured to me that that doesnt make any sense, maybe they kind such weapons are too low tech to bother with? It would be consistent with typical borg behaviour as the collective seems rather arrogant. How else do you explain repeatedly sending out single cubes even though they have been repeatedly stuffed. if they sent even as few as 10 cubes we'd be stuffed.

Magic toe
August 13th, 2002, 04:49 PM
I'd imagine the borg are pretty well shielded against solid objects but then again I don't think they could argue with a great big gun. I doubt if you'd be able to get close to a borg with a hand-to-hand weapon, you saw how well 7of9 did against the rock. Supose you'd have to be a kligon or something to make hand-to-hand fighting worthwhile

kater
August 13th, 2002, 07:16 PM
I can't see projectile weapons of any kind working, but a Klingon battle axe maye be a different matter, they're agility and maneouverability ain't all that.