SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

someguy
August 5th, 2002, 03:32 AM
Hello!

I am looking for the title/author of a book I read years ago. I was hoping some fan out there could help me with this.

It is about this guy who crashed his spaceship on this planet. Only on this planet, they are stuck in a 18th century tech phase (cannons, muskets, swords), except there wooden sailing ships fly around (the planet is very mountainous). This guy gets into adventures, and ....well...you get the picture.

If anyone can tell me who wrote this book or what its title is, I would appreciate it.

Thanks alot,

someguy:D

toriphile
August 7th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Wasn't that The Wooden Astronauts?
That's book two of Bob Shaw's Ragged Astronauts sequence.

someguy
August 7th, 2002, 02:20 PM
Hey! Thanks for the tip. Problem is I started running down the info, and couldnt find much. Amazon was suprisingly unhelpful, and didnt have pictures for the books (I remember the cover art). Also, the story (based on what I could find) sounds like it might be a little different, but it also might be the same!! Arrgh!

If anyone has a good synopsis of the Bob Shaw books, or a good link (I didnt have much luck on Google), that would be great!

Thanks again toriphile!

(Addendum)

Well, I just found a site and nope, i dont think that is the series I am looking for. The hero in the book I read did not take a balloon, and there was no mention of another planet. The hero in the book i am thinking of crashed a real genuine spaceship. Oh well, thanks anyway toriphile. Hopefully someone will recognize it!

Cheers

Cadfael
August 8th, 2002, 11:58 AM
It sounds like The Warlock, In Spite Of Himself by Christopher Stasheff... he crash lands on a planet, but the society is more fuedal that 18th centuary...

someguy
August 8th, 2002, 01:09 PM
Well, thanks Cadfael for trying, but that aint it either. The book I read was not medieval. There were flying frigates firing cannons, and no magic whatsoever. I checked out the book synopsis on Amazon... This is getting frustrating. I will keep hoping and waiting.

Thanks again,

Someguy

Hobbit
August 23rd, 2002, 07:19 PM
The closest I can come up with is King David's Spaceship by Jerry Pournelle, and I don't think that was it, as I can't remember flying ships.

Mike Moorcock's Oswald Bastable series (Warlord of the Air) uses airships, but I don't think that's it either.

John Brosnan's Skyships any good? Again airships rather than flying ships....

You reckon you can remember the cover art, someguy? Describe it to me, it might help!

someguy
August 23rd, 2002, 09:44 PM
Hey Hobbit!

Unfortunately, it has been YEARS since I read it. I all I really remeber of the cover what a heroic guy, dressed up slightly circa 1700s, with white hair and a short pointy beard. Sorry man, that's it. I guess the only person who is going to answer my question is someone who has the book on a shelf and has read it.

Funnily enough, the post to start this thread was Post #1 for me. I didnt expect to end up a regular here. No look at me! I got fat and lost my hair!!!

Hobbit
August 24th, 2002, 05:13 AM
:)

I normally pick up on these ones sooner, someguy!

Unfortunately this one could be a lot of things. I'll keep thinking on it and something may pop out of my cluttered brain.

If you can think of anything else that'll help, add it in!

fortytwo
August 24th, 2002, 06:58 AM
It sounds a little like Tatja Grimms World by Vernor Vinge.
In that, the technology had ground to a halt because of a lack of metals on the planet.I think also there was something strange about the planet's orbit so it was perpetually daylight on one side and nightime on the other.
Sorry, thats the only one I can think of.

someguy
August 26th, 2002, 09:51 PM
Nope, not that one either. No shoratage of metals, as they use swords and cannons on their flying ships of the line.