View Full Version : The comedy thread

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3

Shimrod
August 5th, 2002, 08:53 AM
I'm a big comedy fan, especially the "english ones" like Blackadder, Bottom, The Young Ones, Absolutely Fabulous and ofcourse Monty Python and Fawlty Towers. And for the Dutch amongst us "Jiskefet".

I know it's difficult to talk about favourite scenes or sketches without the visuals but I''ll give a try.

This scene is from a Bottom episode called "Culture". The series is about two guys, Richie Richardson (played by Rik Mayall) and Eddie Hitler (played by Adrian Edmondson) who share a messy appartment in London. Their favourite passtime includes drinking and woman and bashing their heads preferably with a frying pan.

Okay here goes: Eddie and Richie are sitting on the sofa, their televison has been removed because they didn't pay the rent.

Richie: Oh don't. [sighs] Right, come on Eddie. We should try and be positive about the lack of telly. We should treat this as an
educational, spiritual and cultural plus. So... tiddly-winks?
Eddie: No no no, we ended up in hospital last time, remember?
Richie: True. Oh, what a sad and tragic waste of a young, attractive life. Oohhh. Hey! That's it! [claps] What about "pin the tail on the donkey"?
Eddie: We haven't got a donkey.
Richie: Well, ah, "pin the tail on the chicken".
Eddie: We haven't got a tail.
Richie: Oh. Well, "pin the sausage on the chicken".
Eddie: We haven't got a chicken.
Richie: Well... "pin the sausage on the fridge"!
Eddie: Or a pin.
Richie: "Sellotape a sausage to the fridge"!
Eddie: We haven't got a sausage!
Richie: "Put a bit of sellotape on the fridge"!
Eddie: It's not much of a game, is it?
Richie: What d'you mean, you have to do it blindfold.
Eddie: But we haven't even got a blindfold!
Richie: Well then we'll have to improvise, won't we Eddie?

[Richie removes Eddie's glasses, pokes him in the eyes, and replaces the glasses.]

Richie: Okay?
Eddie: [sighs] All right. Give me a bit of sellotape and I shall stick it on the fridge.
Richie: Here you are. Ooh, look out, it's the last bit, better be careful.

[Eddie sighs, and walks towards the fridge, the sellotape held out in front of him. He sticks it carefully on the fridge and steps back.]

Eddie: Is that it then?
Richie: Yeah.
Eddie: Who won?
Richie: Dhoh, ha ha ha ha. Eddie, it matters not who won or lost but how you played the game.
Eddie: Oh, you mean I won? Ha! Ha-ha. [wets his finger, draws a figure 1 in the air, waves his hands in the air]
Richie: Yes, I suppose so, yeah, I mean if it's so important to you, yes. Yes, you did win. I mean for heaven's sake, Eddie, it's only a game! [walking away, to himself] ****, ****, VD VD VD! Why do I bloody lose everything always? [an idea] So, ah, you think you're good at games do you, big boy? Well what about a real game? A game of champions. The clash of the great big minds. The battle of the Titans!
Eddie: You don't mean...
Richie: Yes!
Eddie: A "see how much custard you can hold in your underpants" competition?
Richie: Yeah -- no! Although that's a bloody good idea!
Eddie: Ha-ha.
Richie: Might come onto that later if my idea doesn't work out.
Eddie: Okay.
Richie: Although this time I really think we ought to let the custard cool down a little first.
Eddie: And that handstand rule is a complete disaster.
Richie: Hmm. Apart from that, bloody good game!
Eddie: Absolutely. Mind you, you always have a considerable advantage, because your underpants are so stupendously huge.
Richie: Too right matey! Okay, may the best man win!

So what's your favourite scene, sketch or quote?

juzzza
August 5th, 2002, 09:54 AM
Not comedy but good line anyway. :D

**SPOILER FOR MOVIE THE HEIST**

OK, end scene, with Danny DeVito shot and lying on the floor. Gene Hackman is also injured but he is limping towrds Danny pointing his gun at him as he hobbles forward. Danny holds up his hands:

Danny: Wait, wait, wait! Don't you want to hear my last words?

Gene: I just did [BANG]

QUALITY

dune dude
August 5th, 2002, 03:37 PM
I too am a biog fan of British comedy like Shimrod. The funniest episode of Bottom is "Finger" where Eddie & Richie steal Cannonball Taffy O'Jones's honeymoon tickets.

I have just bought The Young Ones Series One on DVD.

dune dude
August 5th, 2002, 03:38 PM
What about Red Dwarf?

Solaar
August 5th, 2002, 03:42 PM
Only Fools and Horses and the Simpsons are my favourites.

Del Boy falling thru the bar, or Trigger talking about his broom, or most Homer moments...

Solaar
play it cool trigger, play it cool

milamber_reborn
August 6th, 2002, 02:25 AM
Red Dwarf is a classic, pity it got cancelled, as far as I can tell, and that it doesn't get good airing in Oz.

Kingslayer
August 6th, 2002, 03:33 PM
Dad's Army, Only Fools and Horses, Fawlty Towers, Open all Hours...

British comedy rules.

Been meaning to watch more of Monty Python.They don't show many repeats of it, though.

Lifino
August 7th, 2002, 12:06 AM
A couple of beers and a little of The Red Green Show!! That's a classic combo...

Bond
August 9th, 2002, 11:32 AM
The few episodes of Dave Allen I've seen would probably be among my favorite British comedies as well as the early episodes of Allo Allo. No mention of Benny yet. Is Benny Hill not liked? :D

As for favorite comedy skits not from Britain, the Carol Burnett Show episode featuring Harvey Korman and Anthony Newley in a wine tasting duel is a standout.

A great comedy movie would be The Court Jester.

jjt
August 17th, 2002, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by milamber_reborn
Red Dwarf is a classic, pity it got cancelled, as far as I can tell, and that it doesn't get good airing in Oz.

I'm under the impression that the series will go on .. just as films .. :look: Isn't that the case?