View Full Version : Glitch in FOTR DVD

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Miriamele
August 5th, 2002, 04:25 PM
Well we got our FOTR DVD in the mail on Friday. It looks and sounds great and everything--but our DVD seems to have a glitch in it, at the end of the Council of Elrond the screen freezes, and that entire chapter is screwed up, and the next. (I think it's chapter 24 and 25 but not sure). We have to fast forward a few chapters to continue watching or the screen will just stay frozen. Needless to say we will be returning it.

The disk itself doesn't appear to be damaged. I'm curious, has anyone else had problems like this with this DVD or any other?

Thanks. :)

juzzza
August 5th, 2002, 07:17 PM
Nope mine is fine although I think I am going mad.

I could have sworn that at the theatre, the intro was narrated by Gandalf. On the DVD it is Cate Blachette(sp?) narrating.

Did I just imagine this or is Jackson trying to mess with me. (Not in biblical sense)

Miriamele
August 5th, 2002, 07:19 PM
When I saw it in the theatre it was definitely Cate Blanchett narrating.

She also narrates for the second movie (from what I can tell with the trailers).

I guess Jackson thought she had the nicest voice, and I agree.

Sorry Juzzza you must be going crazy. :)

juzzza
August 5th, 2002, 07:24 PM
Yea. That's OK. :(

You know... I feel kinda down... I'm going mad an' all... I don't suppose? [moves closer] ... You could see your way to squeedging my...:D

Heh heh heh. Sorry, a glitch on the FOTR DVD is no jovial matter. I will bother you no more my lady [bows low]

Erebus
August 5th, 2002, 09:48 PM
Sorry to hear of the glitch Miri...The DVD goes on sale here in Oz today, although I shall be waiting til Novemeber when the 4-disc Special Edition hits the shelfs. Aside from all the additional goodies, this one will have the extra footage cut from the cinema release, which was only 178 minutes, the same length that is on the DVD edition released here in Australia today.

Roll on The Two Towers as well! :)

milamber_reborn
August 6th, 2002, 01:21 AM
A friend and I hired A Knight's Tale and the last quarter of the movie was just about all jerky and pausing. We had to rewind it contantly, with subtitles on. That way we could watch 10-20 seconds at a time before it started screwing up.

DarthV
August 6th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Sounds like your DVD player has problems with the layer change. Pretty much every DVD out there is actually done with Dual Layers...so when it gets to the end of one, there is usually a small pause while the laser tracks onto the 2nd layer. Some DVD players are well known for not handling the layer change well. DO you have that sort of problem with any other movies ? What brand and model DVD player are you using ?

Miriamele
August 6th, 2002, 09:18 AM
We've had a few problems with pausing, jerky picture etc, but nothing to this extent where two whole chapters are completely unwatchable.

We have a GE DVD player from Walmart. It's not overly good, but it wasn't overly cheap either.

Maybe though we should see if the DVD works on someone else's player before we return it.
Thanks, Darth.

DarthV
August 6th, 2002, 09:44 AM
Hrmmm I'll buy my DVDs at Walmart, but I don't think I'd buy any electronics from there :)

I just did a quick check on a couple DVD/HT forums and found that some other people are having problems with Ch 24+25...and I'll probably bet that is where the layer change is. I'd try playing the disc in another brand/model DVD player and see what happens. You can always try exchanging the disc, but if it is the layer change, you'll be out of luck :(

juzzza
August 6th, 2002, 09:47 AM
I had the same problem with The Matrix and Enemy of The State. I had to upgrade my player:(