PDA

View Full Version : Levitating cubes that crap carbon?!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Drocles
April 2nd, 2011, 09:48 PM
Looking for the name of an obscure sci fi book from i think the 70's. Its about a peaceful invasion of large featureless black blocks that levitate close to the ground, eat vegitation and crap out bundles of pure carbon filiments. They have the ability to reflect 100% of any energy impacted on them directly back at point it originated from. They start reproducing and creating cars and other objects. It wasnt the most exciting of books, just an odd story.

Asimovking
April 3rd, 2011, 12:26 AM
Ive spent awhile looking for it for you and i have no idea. Try...

1. Isaac Asimov

2. Arthur C. Clarke

3. Clifford D. Simak

JimF
April 3rd, 2011, 06:08 AM
Looking for the name of an obscure sci fi book from i think the 70's. Its about a peaceful invasion of large featureless black blocks that levitate close to the ground, eat vegitation and crap out bundles of pure carbon filiments. They have the ability to reflect 100% of any energy impacted on them directly back at point it originated from. They start reproducing and creating cars and other objects. It wasnt the most exciting of books, just an odd story.

That book is the Visitors by Cliffford Simak. It is a very interesting variation on the alien invasion story. I really enjoyed this book.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Visitors_(novel)

http://osfbc.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/thevisitors.jpg

The story outlines contact between Earth and the titular Visitors, a group of mysterious objects from deep space. The Visitors are simple black oblong boxes, as large as buildings, which approach from space and orbit the Earth before descending to the United States. The nature of the visitors is kept rather mysterious it's not clear if they are vehicles or living things in their own right. They are apparently unable to communicate with humans in any meaningful way; on one occasion a human is taken inside a Visitor, only to be released after experiencing a jumble of confusing colored lights and smells which he didn't understand.

Drocles
April 3rd, 2011, 09:26 AM
Ah ha thanks a lot! I remember reading the book 20 years ago, and thought it was an interesting twist on the old invasion story. I enjoyed it because i personally i feel if we ever actually saw alien life it would take a flash of genius to even recognize it as such. This book touches on that subject.