View Full Version : Doctor Who: Season 6 [SPOILERS!!]

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Pro Amatuer
April 3rd, 2011, 12:04 PM
The upcoming season has been hyped up more than any of the others I remember... and like a fool, I have fallen for it. I'm sure they'll be a few clunkers this year, as there are every year, but it really looks like it's going to be good.
But I also have a feeling that there's going to be some kind of plot twist that will divide the viewership in half, a love it or hate it situation.

... As if Moffat's different direction didn't do that already.

Hobbit
April 3rd, 2011, 12:43 PM
As we're about a fortnight away, thought we would use your post as a starter for the new series, pro.

For those in other countries who may not know, the BBC have started the promotion trail in the UK: trailers, website updates, interviews....

I have to say though that for the first time in all of the series so far, I'm not that fussed about the new series. I haven't looked at any of the promotional material, I'm beginning to think I'm not that bothered about watching it - which for those who know me is quite a shock.

I am starting to feel the latest series may be victim of its own hype. And that wasn't helped by the (IMO) AWFUL Christmas episode, which was so clearly set up for its stars it lost a plot in cheesy whimsy.

I probably will watch it, but it no longer has the lure I once had for it. I'm not impressed with the acting of Karen Gillan, I'm not that enamoured with her relationship with Arthur/Rory, and overall I'm surprised to find that I'm thinking 'meh' rather than 'great!'

I'd like to think that the Gaiman episode will be good, I am pleased that they're moving away from the traditional villains (Daleks? Cybermen? Again?) but I'm not as optimistic as I once was.

And as for the so-called big split in the middle - rumoured to be the death of Amy pond - I have little doubt that, like the 'death' of Rory, it'll be nothing but a con.

I do hope I'm more positive at the end, but at the moment, I'm most definitely not.

Mark

Pro Amatuer
April 3rd, 2011, 12:59 PM
Sorry for the mis-post. It's being referred to as series 6 with the specials not counting as a proper season. Here's a prelude if anyone's interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRakpxVg1Uw

Hobbit
April 3rd, 2011, 03:23 PM
Sorry for the mis-post.

No, not a mis-post, Pro: you just beat me to the gun on setting up a new thread. Was something we'd have got around to, eventually.

Trying to be more positive: is there anyone else looking forward to this?

I understand the US date is very close to the UK one this time.

Mark

Pro Amatuer
April 3rd, 2011, 03:39 PM
I believe episode will air the same day, but the UK will get them hours ahead because of an earlier air time and the time difference. I've heard several rumors now, and I really want to see which if any pan out.

Loerwyn
April 3rd, 2011, 03:41 PM
Trying to be more positive: is there anyone else looking forward to this?
Of course.

I'm quite happy with Smith's Doctor (Along with Amy and Rory), and I guess that's partially down to me not being brought up on the classics. Heck, I've really only gotten this into Doctor Who since Smith took up the mantle. I lost interest for a brief period during Tennant's last year or so, and picked up again with Smith. I'm also not that critical of the show, I suppose (Wait, wasn't I the one posting commentaries on every episode last year?), so my tolerance for bad acting/nonsense is perhaps greater than that of most people. If it's enjoyable, then that's all that matters to me.

Also looking forward to Gaiman's episode :)

Erfael
April 3rd, 2011, 04:01 PM
The SO and I were just talking today about probably giving this one pass until they're out on DVD. Something about last season just left us cold. Smith is fine, pretty much couldn't stand Amy Pond. Didn't even love the River Song bits. So we'll see. Still a few weeks until we have to decide whether to watch or not, but right now we're on the fence.

Hobbit
April 7th, 2011, 03:58 PM
Some might find the following link useful. Details on the first seven episodes.

WARNING: May be spoilers!

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/s7/doctor-who/tubetalk/a312304/doctor-who-everything-we-know-so-far.html

Mark

Orbison
April 10th, 2011, 07:42 PM
The latest series was the first one that I've really got into since the reboot, though I did quite enjoy Eccleston's short stint.

So, yeah, really quite excited for this series.

Chuffalump
April 11th, 2011, 02:34 PM
I thought the series promo advert was brilliant. Making me look forward to it anyway.