PDA

View Full Version : The Hunger Games (Movie)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Loerwyn
April 4th, 2011, 03:53 PM
Yup, finally got some casting details for what could be a good adaptation.

This article (http://www.thefablife.com/2011-04-04/hunger-games-casting-announced-katniss-gets-her-peeta-and-gale/) has pictures of the three announced cast members, i.e. Katniss, Peeta and Gale.

Anyone else think they look nothing like the characters they're supposed to be?

Loerwyn
May 18th, 2011, 05:08 PM
Update: We've got the first picture of the girl playing Katniss. Here it is (http://popwatch.ew.com/2011/05/18/the-hunger-games-jennifer-lawrence-first-look-exclusive/).

It hasn't done anything to remove my fears at all. Katniss' age is fairly important in the series, simply because she's so mature for someone so young. She's a child, that's the point. Casting a woman in the role (Rather than a younger girl) isn't going to help get that message across.

Loerwyn
August 2nd, 2011, 10:27 AM
More photos of the film (http://www.themarysue.com/hunger-games-photos/).

I'm still very unsure about it, if I'm honest. If you go to the Entertainment Weekly link and scroll through the images, there's a number of the other tributes shown (Not in make up, though, it just tells you who's playing who) and they're mostly - as far as I know - unknown actors/actresses.

Now we wait for some footage.

DDCOrange
August 11th, 2011, 08:55 AM
The actress playing Katniss, Jennifer Lawrence, played a seventeen-year-old in last year's Winter's Bone. She was so convincing that even as a relative unknown, she bagged an Academy Award nomination for best actress. If you haven't yet seen it check out Winter's Bone and don't rely on stupid publicity photos. There are similarities in that story and Hunger Games (i.e. an older sister, basically doing everything she can to hold her family together. Willing to make any sacrifice to spare her younger siblings. Also the story is set in rural Missouri). Both my younger daughter and I are great fans of the Hunger Games novels and we agree that if Lawrence can handle the action scenes, she would make an outstanding Katniss.
At least they didn't recruit that God-Awful Kristen Stewert, the most over-rated actress on the planet!

JimF
August 11th, 2011, 11:55 AM
I haven't read the books, but the premis sounds interesting. I will porbably go to the film.

I came across this fan made film based on the book. I thought it was very well done.

http://io9.com/5829161/hunger-games-fan-video-will-give-you-chills

jim

LaZea
August 11th, 2011, 09:58 PM
Is the book really similar to Battle Royale (2000)? That's what I've heard. I haven't read the book yet, just the first chapter sample. I'm going to try to make time to read the entire thing since it's been so popular online.

Loerwyn
August 12th, 2011, 03:04 AM
Yes and no. It's like a mix between Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-Four/Zamyatin's We and Battle Royale, but it's not really similar. The motives for the event are different, and it's of a smaller number of people but I think a larger arena. You'll have to read it to find out, and it shouldn't take you too long.

Jop
September 16th, 2011, 04:29 PM
At least they didn't recruit that God-Awful Kristen Stewert, the most over-rated actress on the planet!

Yeah, I think the continuous lip-chewing (and flat acting) kind of ruins it...

I have hopes for this movie...

(although I'm still looking forward to another dystopian type film: The Passage)

Loerwyn
September 16th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Yeah, I think the continuous lip-chewing (and flat acting) kind of ruins it...
But she's soooo purty!

I'm really looking forward to Snow White and the Huntsman with her as Snow White. Kristen Stewart in armour makes a great desktop background :D

DDCOrange
September 23rd, 2011, 09:58 AM
But she's soooo purty!

I'm really looking forward to Snow White and the Huntsman with her as Snow White. Kristen Stewart in armour makes a great desktop background :D

Sure she does! Until she starts speaking and moving. Maybe she should take up modeling and leave this acting thing behind.