PDA

View Full Version : Golden Nuggets

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

juzzza
August 6th, 2002, 02:48 PM
I, probably like many on this forum, have never actually had formal training in the 'craft' and write for the love of it.

Along the way, especially from those more experienced, you pick up little hints 'n' tips or Golden Nuggets that help you on your way to getting published WOOHOO!!!

I thought this thread could be a good opportunity for you guys with wisdom to share, to post little nuggets for the rest of us.

Stephen King found one on a rejection slip and quotes it in his book 'On Writing'

2nd Draft = 1st Draft minus (-) 10% (he always sticks to it)

And here's one from me.

Plots. My plots are always 'What Ifs' I.E. What if a guy woke up one morning and... What if a dragon really could... and so on. If the response in my own head is 'So What?' I scrap it or ask a different question. If I want to find out the answer, I write it...

2 things. Your nuggets can be about writing, submissions, synopsis writing, query letters, promotion, anything to do with this craft.

2nd thing, thanks for the inspiration for this thread Big 'E'.

Juzz
;)

juzzza
August 7th, 2002, 04:33 AM
Here is another short but sweet nugget from Mr King that I subscribe to.

Write what you know...

Somebody in another thread made a comment about his frustration when people who obviously do not have a clue about weapons, try to write with authority about them.

Research is important, even in Fantasy worlds where there are no rules.

If you want to write about Gunpowder, Poison, War Engines, Military Tactics, do your research, then you are writing what you know.

:D

Aidan Aasarin
August 8th, 2002, 09:06 PM
"If your story is grammatically correct, you're ahead of 90% of the competition."
This excerpt is from an E-mail a friend of mine received from Steven Brust.

milamber_reborn
August 9th, 2002, 01:34 AM
Advice I agree with. But he forgot to add the 300% effort in getting publishers' attentions.