View Full Version : City Area States

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Mr. Kay
April 14th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Dear Folks,

I'm new here and the particular reason why I signed up is because I was looking for a certain novel I read years ago, but can't remember the title anymore.

It was about the Earth in a far future where cities became so big that they displaced nation states. Around 70% of the globe were covered with urbanised enviroment and technological advancement made fast transportation easy and for everybody affordable.

The main character is a private detective who is hired by a city area's gov't to gain access to another city areas territory for that area is totally restricted and outsiders are not welcome.

I forgot title as well as author. I can only remember I had a blast reading this one, so please help.

Greets, Mr. Kay

Chuffalump
April 15th, 2011, 07:55 AM
Are the cities themselves sentient?

Sounds like there are vague similarities to a book I read where the districts in a city were restricted by whether you lived there or how you were dressed. The city itself enforced the rules.

Mr. Kay
April 15th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Now that you mention this it came to my mind as well. Yes, the cities themselves were sentient. An AI controlled each city and the clothes people wear were also sentient due to AI. Yes, that is correct, that might likely be that novel.

Chuffalump
April 15th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Now all we need to do is remember the book. :D

Possibly cyberpunkish?

Mostlyharmless
April 15th, 2011, 01:49 PM
Michael Marshall Smith "Only Forward"?

Mr. Kay
April 15th, 2011, 09:57 PM
Michael Marshall Smith "Only Forward"?

This is probably the novel I was looking for. Thanks a lot. I'm gonna check it out. If it's not the one I meant I'll post again. Thanks to everybody for the effort.