PDA

View Full Version : HBO's Game of Thrones (NON-SPOILER THREAD)

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14

Evil Agent
April 15th, 2011, 07:10 PM
This is a thread for discussion of HBO's epic fantasy series, Game of Thrones.

This thread is primarily for people who have NOT read the books. Discussion of episodes, characters, etc. should be based on the series as it airs, avoiding any book spoilers (or, if that's impossible, using spoiler tags to hide them... but try to avoid them altogether).

Episode 1 - Winter is Coming...

(For the EXTREME-SPOILER THREAD, CLICK HERE (http://sffworld.com/forums/showthread.php?p=635249#post635249).)

Evil Agent
April 18th, 2011, 04:21 AM
As a big fan of the books, I LOVED the first episode... but I can't help thinking that some newbies might be confused. There was a TON of exposition (nearly every line of dialogue was crucially important). Hopefully people stick with it for a few episodes, and give everything a chance to sink in!

teahupoo
April 18th, 2011, 05:06 AM
I liked it. I didn't think it was excellent. It did not meet my expectations, however i did have very high expectations. Maybe my expectations were to high. I am worried how well non fantasy fans will take to it. I'm glad they'll follow the basic plot and not pull a Legend of the Seeker on us.

Tragedy
April 18th, 2011, 05:10 AM
The start of GoT was slow even in the book. It does pick up.

Loerwyn
April 18th, 2011, 05:15 PM
As a big fan of the books, I LOVED the first episode... but I can't help thinking that some newbies might be confused. There was a TON of exposition (nearly every line of dialogue was crucially important). Hopefully people stick with it for a few episodes, and give everything a chance to sink in!
I, too, loved the first episode.

I thought the music was absolutely stunning, the cinematography was brilliant and most of the acting was absolutely superb. Emilia Clarke was nothing short of mind-blowing in her role. She managed to create a natural 'stiffness' in her character which shows her... Perhaps distrust of her brother? He's an arse, and brilliantly played too.

However, I do have a few questions.
1. So, we have two incestuous relationships, right? I'm guessing the one we saw at the end is rather consensual, whereas the other isn't.
2. WHERE WERE CORVUS CORAX?!
3. Why on Earth did the credits go so fast? I couldn't read a thing.
4. Anyone else reminded of Victor Meldrew when Tyrion shouted "Close the door!"?

sdelu
April 18th, 2011, 05:56 PM
I, too, loved the first episode.

I thought the music was absolutely stunning, the cinematography was brilliant and most of the acting was absolutely superb. Emilia Clarke was nothing short of mind-blowing in her role. She managed to create a natural 'stiffness' in her character which shows her... Perhaps distrust of her brother? He's an arse, and brilliantly played too.

However, I do have a few questions.
1. So, we have two incestuous relationships, right? I'm guessing the one we saw at the end is rather consensual, whereas the other isn't.
2. WHERE WERE CORVUS CORAX?!
3. Why on Earth did the credits go so fast? I couldn't read a thing.
4. Anyone else reminded of Victor Meldrew when Tyrion shouted "Close the door!"?

Two incestuous relationships? As in Dany and Viserys being the first? No, there's no incest there. (Unless you consider a guy undressing his sister incestuous even though they never make the hanky panky or any other such thing. I guess you could call that incestuous, but at this point it's mostly just him exercising power over her.) It's just, ah, Viserys is weird.

I hope you don't view that as a spoiler, but it's pretty important that you understand Viserys has controlled Dany her whole life and she's terrified of him (which didn't really come across in the show). That's their relationship. It's weird, but not incestuous... though the Targaryens do have a history of marrying brother to sister.

Evil Agent
April 18th, 2011, 06:58 PM
The incest vibe from the Targaryen siblings comes from the fact that the Targaryens traditionally wed brother to sister, in order to preserve their pure bloodlines. These two are not really incestuous, though. Viserys is just very, very creepy.

Loerwyn
April 19th, 2011, 02:49 AM
Well, at that point in the show, it did look like he was perhaps getting too much out of undressing her.

I'll disagree, though, as I felt Dany looked rather scared/worried throughout the whole episode.

Pub
April 19th, 2011, 03:32 AM
Have to say first and foremost i dl'd because im from australia and itll be a long time if ever before it comes out here.

Whilst i had a few issues with the show overall i was very happy and satisfied obviously my biggest gripe is you can never do a book justice with movies/tv.

Bu the other issues were minor i thought the head at the start looked a bit too fake 2nd beheading was better. Last was Catilyn (sp??) Stark is too old.

But other than everything else was awesome brought back everything from what i enjoyed in the book Jon snow is is once again my favourite thought Ayria is going be awesome.

Dany Hot as **** and boobs we're top notch sure to draw in more veiwers

Loerwyn
April 25th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Another excellent episode!

That said, I'm really not convinced about the guy who's playing Jon Snow. My mum remarked that he can't ride well, and I felt the scene where he talked to... Uh... Incestuous Lannister Bloke was terrible. All he did was stand there looking ridiculously gormless. On the contrary, I think Peter Dinklage is absolutely superb and really showed Jon Snow Guy up during the scene with him reading.

And that brings me onto the Dire Wolves. The dogs they've used are very good with expressions, and I will admit that when Arya told hers to get socks and it didn't, I giggled quite a bit. Whilst they can be vicious, they don't half look stupid at times :p I don't exactly buy them as wolves, but I can accept them as I understand compromises would have to be made in that department, especially with the number of child actors around.

One thing I noticed was that Daenerys' maid seemed to get a bit too into the smexy scene, and I'm wondering if she's developing a thing for her. But Daenerys herself is quite the character, even if I'm a little unsure of Clarke's acting. It's clear where it's going with her and Mr Buff Backside, but I'm curious as to whether it's Stockholm Syndrome, her seeing no way out of it and bending to both his and her brother's will, or if she is actually going to fall for him.

Oh, and thanks to Werthead retweeting something, we have a .gif of the best scene:
http://i.imgur.com/a1ZES.gif