PDA

View Full Version : Cities that roll above Earth on giant wheels

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Akazukin
April 18th, 2011, 06:49 PM
Ok, it's about a boy whos exiled from a city. All the cities are on giant wheels that roll above the ground, the names of them are well-known cities of earth like London. And they say the ground below the cities is a desolate wasteland, so one can only assume there was some type of nuclear war. Anyway, he's exiled from the city along with a bandit of some sorts and they both wander the ground until theyre picked up by some pirates who attempt to sell them on the slave trade. They escape and find their way to a bustling city over India or Egypt maybe. After that I cant really remember>.>
It was pretty decent sized, somewhere between 400-700 pages I think.
Its one of my favorite books and I've been trying to find the name of it for the longest time.

Oh and I don't know the author or any characters in the book T.T
Any help would be much appreciated.

Jim diGriz
April 18th, 2011, 11:47 PM
Christopher Priest's "The Inverted World", perhaps? Certainly the city on wheels fits. However, it has been many years since I read it and I'm not sure that the finer details fit.

Westsiyeed
April 19th, 2011, 01:06 AM
Christopher Priest's "The Inverted World", perhaps? Certainly the city on wheels fits. However, it has been many years since I read it and I'm not sure that the finer details fit.

Nah, I'm reading Inverted World at the moment and I don't think it's it - no-one's exiled and there's no pirates (I'm 2/3rd's through).

Akazukin
April 19th, 2011, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the replies, but I found it. It's called Mortal Engines, part of the Hungry City Chronicles. It's a bit childish, but still definetly worth a read.

mylinar
April 20th, 2011, 09:03 AM
I think Inverted World is one of those books I have been trying to remember from many years ago. The problem is that I don't recall anything about a 'Gravity Field', but I do think I remember the ending but will not mention it in case it would be a spoiler. The ending situation would prove that either this is the book I was wondering about, or it is not.

Jennifer P
April 20th, 2011, 12:21 PM
And the city in Inverted World runs on rail tracks, IIRC. It does involve some serious weirdness with both time and gravity.