PDA

View Full Version : Camelot

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

3rdI
April 23rd, 2011, 08:57 PM
Thoughts? With Game of Thrones starting STARZ Camelot seems to have gotten pushed by the wayside. So far I have enjoyed Camelot. I wouldn't say it is spectacular but it has been interesting. Joseph Fiennes has been excellent as Merlin.

Evil Agent
April 23rd, 2011, 09:01 PM
Joseph Fiennes is definitely my favourite part of the show! But I've seen some criticisms of his portrayal (that say he's over acting). I like him, though. I was less impressed by Eva Green (never been a big fan, to be honest), although she's quite stunning to look at.

Personally, I kind of feel sorry for Camelot. You can tell they were trying to go for a more gritty, adult approach... but the show has had the incredible bad luck of premiering alongside Game of Thrones. Compared to Thrones, Camelot looks both cheap, and cheesy.

It's hard to believe the show actually cost more than Game of Thrones, because the sets and costumes look pretty bad, IMO. (I think much of the budget was spent on Fiennes, Green, and the sweeping helicopter shots that Thrones decided against). It also doesn't feel nearly as dark or gritty as it wants to; aside from the nudity and sex scenes, it feels pretty PG-13 to me.

All that being said, I've watched 4 episodes so far, and will probably continue to watch... simply because I love period dramas and fantasy in general, and there is a serious lack of good fantasy on TV. Despite its flaws, you can tell that Camelot's heart is in the right place.

At the end of the day, however, Game of Thrones feels like a film, while Camelot still just feels like TV.

3rdI
April 23rd, 2011, 09:11 PM
Joseph Fiennes is definitely my favourite part of the show! But I've seen some criticisms of his portrayal (that say he's over acting). I like him, though. I was less impressed by Eva Green (never been a big fan, to be honest), although she's quite stunning to look at.

Personally, I kind of feel sorry for Camelot. You can tell they were trying to go for a more gritty, adult approach... but the show has had the incredible bad luck of premiering alongside Game of Thrones. Compared to Thrones, Camelot looks both cheap, and cheesy.

It's hard to believe the show actually cost more than Game of Thrones, because the sets and costumes look pretty bad, IMO. (I think much of the budget was spent on Fiennes, Green, and the sweeping helicopter shots that Thrones decided against). It also doesn't feel nearly as dark or gritty as it wants to; aside from the nudity and sex scenes, it feels pretty PG-13 to me.

All that being said, I've watched 4 episodes so far, and will probably continue to watch... simply because I love period dramas and fantasy in general, and there is a serious lack of good fantasy on TV. Despite its flaws, you can tell that Camelot's heart is in the right place.

At the end of the day, however, Game of Thrones feels like a film, while Camelot still just feels like TV.

Well said EA. Although I have enjoyed Green's um...acting ;) Joking aside I think she has done a solid job. My biggest complaint so far is with the guy they cast as Arthur. He strikes me as a rather mediocre actor. I can't imagine STARZ couldn't have found a better actor to play such an important role. Casting is everything. HBO got it right. STARZ not so much.

As you said I agree it is still better than most of the crap on TV at the moment. I enjoy the approach they are taking in the telling of the story. Certainly solid enough to continue watching.

Evil Agent
April 23rd, 2011, 10:47 PM
Yeah, Arthur wasn't bad at first... but he seems a little more annoying with each episode! Incidentally, he was originally cast as Waymar Royce in the opening scene of Game of Thrones, but they had to re-cast the role when they did pilot re-shoots.

3rdI
April 23rd, 2011, 11:00 PM
Yeah, Arthur wasn't bad at first... but he seems a little more annoying with each episode! Incidentally, he was originally cast as Waymar Royce in the opening scene of Game of Thrones, but they had to re-cast the role when they did pilot re-shoots.

Really? That is interesting. I still think STARZ could have done better. This guy just comes across as whiny and irritating.

One thing I really have enjoyed so far is the magic. Interesting touch. Subtle but not too subtle. Merlin for example is a pretty bad dude but he is always going on about the cost. The last episode where he went and found the armorer to forge a sword for Arthur was my favorite so far. This Merlin has an edge which I find more interesting than your typical gentle white bearded guide.

Evil Agent
April 23rd, 2011, 11:15 PM
Yeah, you can actually still see him for a split-second, at the very end of this very first Game of Thrones teaser (http://youtu.be/xVytEgSO0wQ) from a year ago.

The magic is definitely well done so far.

But what's with Camelot? You'd think he'd get his knights to clear away all that overgrowth of vines and leaves everywhere. It looks like half a ruin, but people actually live there??

3rdI
April 23rd, 2011, 11:31 PM
But what's with Camelot? You'd think he'd get his knights to clear away all that overgrowth of vines and leaves everywhere. It looks like half a ruin, but people actually live there??

LOL I know I thought the same thing. I guess at this point in the story they want Camelot looking less like a castle\city and more like a stronghold. Still even a stronghold doesn't need to look like some sort of ancient mayan ruin!

Evil Agent
April 24th, 2011, 04:44 AM
I wonder if we're the only two people here who have watched it.

I kind of liked the little twist on the Lady in the Lake, in the last episode.

3rdI
April 24th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I wonder if we're the only two people here who have watched it.

I kind of liked the little twist on the Lady in the Lake, in the last episode.

We might be dude.

I really liked that twist as well. The sword in the stone twist was great also. I dig how they are approaching a number of elements of the story. I think you nailed it when you mentioned the show being a victim of poor timing. I am not comparing it to GOT it simply isn't at that level but I think if GOT wasn't out Camelot would be getting more buzz.