PDA

View Full Version : New Short Story Contest!

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Erebus
August 8th, 2002, 04:19 AM
And now, the news you have all been waiting patiently for!

The second SFFW Writing Contest will run from September 1st to September 30th. Full guidelines will be announced soon, however, I can tell you that the maximum word limit will be 2500 words (our thanks to everyone who voted and commented in the poll, btw), the stories must be previously unpublished, and cannot be a part of a larger work. Any submissions outside of the guidelines will not be accepted. The contest will not be run to a theme, but your story must be of a speculative nature, ie: SF, Fantasy or Horror etc. in keeping with this site's genre.

So, get your thinking caps on and we'll let you know more soon! :)

Shef
August 8th, 2002, 01:02 PM
Thank goodness! I have just come up with a great idea. So expect my participation. :D

Erebus
August 8th, 2002, 08:18 PM
Well, you've got plenty of time to get the creative juices flowing. :)

Miriamele
August 8th, 2002, 08:37 PM
I will participate as well although I usually find it hard to keep a story below 5000 words!

It will be a good exercise for me. :)

I don't have a great idea yet though. Care to share yours with me, Shef? :D

Shef
August 10th, 2002, 10:32 PM
Sure Miri. It all starts on a dark and stormy night. The wind whistles wildly through the trees,while rain patters to the ground. But a single light was shined with an eternal brightness all through the gloomy little town. A dark figure watched as rowdy laughter, reverbrated up and out of...

Wait a second. I shouldn't be telling you this. :mad: You tried to trick me!:p Oh well.

There is actually a point to this post. I know that it will probably be clarified when the guidelines go up, but I wondering if you can submit more than one story? I have the first draft of my origanal concept a bit more than half done, while another idea is percolating in the back of my mind. They are not related to each other at all, and are origanal. If not, I understand, but please let me know. :D

Thanks,
Sheffield

Erebus
August 10th, 2002, 10:37 PM
Yes, as long as the stories are stand-alone and meet the guidelines, you may enter more than one if you have them. Remember, the stories cannot be a part of another work, nor been posted or published elsewhere. Other than for that, go for it - and good luck! :)

Shef
August 10th, 2002, 10:47 PM
Thanks Erebus. I guess I am going to be a busy little beaver (penguin) this month and a half. Two short stories polished to perfection, a new job, the assignments at the writers association, some light reading, and the only reading that I despise. School required summer reading. Guhhhhh...

Holbrook
August 11th, 2002, 03:56 AM
Interesting, but I think you might have to do without a terrible entry from me this time....

My work load is too great *sigh*

Erebus
August 11th, 2002, 11:31 PM
Well, HB, I'm sure it will be just fine...good luck to you, and to everyone of course. :)

Jacquin
August 13th, 2002, 09:46 AM
Count me in.

I have had this idea floating round in my head for a few days, all about a very old book...

Hmmm, off to write a bit.

J