PDA

View Full Version : Hacker using tarot cards

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Seli
May 3rd, 2011, 04:18 PM
This one has been irritating me for a while. I read it probably in the early to mid 90's, borrowed from a Dutch library.

Some Hacker/Detective is hired by a company to return stolen plans for a fighter aircraft, claiming to be the victim of espionage and theft. Only after he succeeds it turns out his employer was the 'evil' party, and they have secured there systems now in a way he cannot get back at them.

The Hacker was using tarot cards for planning/meditation. And in the end he figures out (helped by a card [tower struck by lightning?]) that while the company is outside of his reach he can still hurt them by messing with the external power companies they deal with.

Any ideas?

Violent Emesis
May 3rd, 2011, 04:34 PM
The "Kidd" series by John Sandford. Pretty good series. I am mostly sure I am right about the author, the Kidd guy is dead on though.

Seli
May 4th, 2011, 02:42 AM
Correct in name and series. Thank you very much.

Edit: the book I've read was probably published as John Camp (assuming I read it in translation) but it is still the same guy.

Edit2: it seems to have been a technothriller at the time more than SF, it seems my memory has dumped it in the genre I actually read nowadays

Violent Emesis
May 4th, 2011, 12:23 PM
No problemo, I am just tickled to actually know the answer!