View Full Version : Looking for a sci fi book please help

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

Asimovking
May 4th, 2011, 04:57 PM
A few months ago i waded through the reviews of tons of books looking for ones that sounded cool. There's one im trying to find again because at the time it sounded cool but didnt make my list. Im sure it's post 1980 and more likely post 1995. Possibly by Iain M Banks/Neal Asher/Stephen Baxter, but it could be anyone.

From what I remember it involves people that are on the run. I think they hide behind an asteriod. They end up finding other races that have purposely cut themselves off from the main part of society.

Thanks for any help. I know it isnt much to go on.

Flatlander
May 4th, 2011, 05:59 PM
David Brin's second Uplift trilogy - Brightness Reef, Infinity's Shore & Heaven's Reach? Seems to vaguely fit the description. They're a sequel to Startide Rising, but none of the three are stand-alone novels - one story across three books, while Startide Rising is a stand-alone.

Asimovking
May 5th, 2011, 01:58 AM
That's not it :(

Asimovking
May 5th, 2011, 03:10 AM
Also another book im looking for is about: Humans have spread out across the stars (this could be the one where some ended up more developed than others due to the time difference) they are not allowed faster than light travel. Some ancient race forbids it and destroys whatever culture attempts it. I believe the book has the word Light in the title. This ancient race also has left a cryptic message long ago for man to find that forbids faster than light travel.

The 3rd book im looking for could possibly be the 1st one as well. In it there is a man on a spaceship, and he is the only one that knows how to fix some problem, so they are trying to find his ship. I believe they are worried they might not find him because the time debt might not line up.

I am actively trying to find these books. Lol. Im not just sitting back hoping one of you can do the work for me. Just figured it could be faster if someone knew what books im looking for, since it will take awhile for me to search through the reviews of hundreds of books plus the possibility that i completely miss the books in my search

*crosses fingers that someone can help*

Ok I found one so far. The forbidden FTL is Singularity Sky by Charles Stross

Hobbit
May 5th, 2011, 03:48 AM
I'm thinking Stephen Baxter: LINK (http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/b/stephen-m-baxter/) and the Xeelee sequence, but it doesn't sound quite right.

The one about forbidden FTL does sound familiar. will think some more.

Mark

Ropie
May 5th, 2011, 03:58 AM
From what I remember it involves people that are on the run. I think they hide behind an asteriod. They end up finding other races that have purposely cut themselves off from the main part of society.

Stephen Baxter's Manifold: Time has a sequence in the later stages of the novel in which the protagonists arrive on an asteroid. It's brilliantly descriptive, really capturing the feeling of trying to orientate oneself on such a tiny planetoid.

Asimovking
May 5th, 2011, 04:05 AM
Those aren't the ones. Thanks for helping guys, hopefully we can figure it out. I figured out the forbidden FTL one so far.

Seli
May 5th, 2011, 06:15 AM
Book 1 gives some Peter Hamilton vibes, but only for a really small part of his Night's Dawn trilogy so I doubt it is what you're looking for.

Book 3, perhaps some Alastair Reynolds.

Asimovking
May 5th, 2011, 05:14 PM
Thanks ill check it out. I really don't its Night's Dawn either. Im halfway through the first book of that.

Asimovking
May 5th, 2011, 06:12 PM
Im currently going thru a list of 1,249 space opera books on amazon.com trying to them :P

Also it doesn't have to be a book by the authors that i listed. Those were just the ones i was thinking of at the time.

"
The 3rd book im looking for could possibly be the 1st one as well. In it there is a man on a spaceship, and he is the only one that knows how to fix some problem, so they are trying to find his ship. I believe they are worried they might not find him because the time debt might not line up."

I believe the title of this book is also the name of the ship, or at least part of the title.

Its not Alastair Reynolds. Though while i checking i added a new book to my TBR, Pushing Ice. So thank you :)

And im sure that Book 1 is part of a series.

Nevermind the Alex thing was Polaris. But Polaris doesn't seem to fit Book 3.