PDA

View Full Version : Book from the late 80's about a colony of people abducted to serve and fight for an a

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

JoeB11
May 12th, 2011, 03:05 AM
Hi Folks, I read this book in the late 80's, it was about a colony of humans on some
planet. During the middle of some crisis the entire colony is put to sleep
and abducted. While being transported away on large ships some of the
people awake and get free. Most of the people end up as servants to the
aliens and others end up as soldiers fighting alongside other humans who
were part of another colony that was abducted long before the present
abductees’. Does anyone have any idea what the name book is as I think it
may have been part of a series. Thanks to anyone who knows what i'm raving
about!!

psikeyhackr
May 12th, 2011, 03:01 PM
This is not quite what you describe but the closest that I know of.

Their Master's War by Mick Farren (Dec 12, 1987)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/search/?node=283155&field-title=Their+Masters%26%2339%3B+War

psik

JoeB11
May 13th, 2011, 02:41 AM
Thanks for your suggestion but thats not the one.

Omphalos
May 13th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I think Jerry Pournelle's Falkenberg's Legion book(s?) are about this. Does that sound familiar?

Hobbit
May 13th, 2011, 06:07 PM
I think Jerry Pournelle's Falkenberg's Legion book(s?) are about this. Does that sound familiar?

My thoughts there were Pournelle's Janissaries novels, but wasn't that just Marines?

Mark

Omphalos
May 13th, 2011, 08:58 PM
My thoughts there were Pournelle's Janissaries novels, but wasn't that just Marines?

Mark

I can't remember. To tell the truth I sat at my desk debating whether to say it was Falkenbetg or Janissaries, too lazy to look it up or even confirm whether or not they are in the same continuity. And I'm not feeling any less lazy right now.

Flatlander
May 14th, 2011, 02:01 PM

Mercenaries, I think, as opposed to Marines. The description sounds like Janissaries - Falkenberg was set in the early Co-Dominium so it's unlikely to be that if it involves aliens.

JoeB11
May 16th, 2011, 06:16 AM
Thanks again folks but it's none of those suggestions. Can anyone advise of a site that would list all SciFi books published or printed in any given year?