PDA

View Full Version : **show Me The Money**

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

juzzza
August 10th, 2002, 08:44 AM
I just wondered if anyone out there (including Mods) is actually making a living from writing?

What kind of money does a published author make approx...

Shef
August 10th, 2002, 10:00 AM
I live with my parents, eat free food, write to my heart's content, and I can't afford a living only on my writing.

Seriously though, out of the relatively small percentage of writers who can make a living off it, they are mainly in the lower tax bracket. Of course, there are exceptions such as Stephen King and Tom Clancy. Hey even fellow fantasy writer Micheal Stackpole can make a decent living out of it. But I stess that this is a very small pecentage of writers. The majority either have day jobs, or they are retired. Hope that helps with the second question of yours.

Erebus
August 10th, 2002, 10:13 AM
I have a real job to pay the bills, and so far, my writing ventures have only returned what could be classed as some generous pocket money, certainly nothing that gets anywhere close to being a living. Luckily, I only write first for my own enjoyment, and then for that of my readers. :)

Holbrook
August 10th, 2002, 10:23 AM
Know a few published writers, only two that make a living out of it and both said it was more luck than anything.....

James Barclay
August 11th, 2002, 06:25 PM
Yep, earlier posters have said pretty much all of it. Don't plan on giving up the day job too quickly. Very few published authors make a living purely from their novels but that's not to say they don't make a living from writing.

One author friend of mine writes tv scripts as well, others are journalists in and outside the genre and I'm looking to be able to go completely self employed in three to five years - supplementing novel income with freelance copywriting and maybe some marketing consultancy.

It's a long old road. Good job we love what we do...

juzzza
August 11th, 2002, 06:29 PM
Goodness me...

It really is lucky that I love doing it then if you guys aren't loaded yet for what you have had published!!!

James Barclay
August 11th, 2002, 06:39 PM
Of course, I also choose to live in one of the world's more expensive cities which doesn't help the fight to leave the suit and office behind.

I think if I moved to a cave in Yorkshire I might be able to get by. Trouble is, I love London. What can you do?