PDA

View Full Version : alien satellite stealing memories?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

shawnh
May 21st, 2011, 05:31 PM
I vaguely remember reading a story where the narrator wakes up and doesn't recognize the room he's in. His vision is weaker than he's used to. He finds glasses and a note on the bedside table. The note was written by him the day before and informs him that an alien satellite is circling Earth and removing a chunk of memories from every human on every revolution. He looks in the mirror and sees that he's older. As the story progresses, his mind gets "pushed back" further and further in time every day, such that he's "younger" mentally every day. I don't recall any other details nor how it ends.

Does anyone know what this story is?

Lazerus
May 21st, 2011, 07:45 PM
I vaguely remember reading a story where the narrator wakes up and doesn't recognize the room he's in. His vision is weaker than he's used to. He finds glasses and a note on the bedside table. The note was written by him the day before and informs him that an alien satellite is circling Earth and removing a chunk of memories from every human on every revolution. He looks in the mirror and sees that he's older. As the story progresses, his mind gets "pushed back" further and further in time every day, such that he's "younger" mentally every day. I don't recall any other details nor how it ends.

Does anyone know what this story is?

I'm pretty sure it is the short story, Sketches Among The Ruins Of My Mind by Philip Jose Farmer.

I read this yeas ago as part of an anthology. It is a great story. I've since gone back and read it several times, although it's been years since the last time.

shawnh
May 21st, 2011, 07:54 PM
I Googled the title you gave, and got this site:

http://www.fastcopyinc.com/orionpress/articles/sketches.htm

The plot details there are good enough for me!

Thanks a lot!