PDA

View Full Version : Should we?

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

juzzza
August 11th, 2002, 01:44 PM
I have noticed, whilst browsing the paying markets for short stories, that many publications state:

'We only accept work that is unpublished (in any medium)'

Does that mean that any work uploaded to SFFW is out of the equation or do they mean if the work was paid for and the previous publication owned publishing rights???

:(

Erebus
August 11th, 2002, 06:21 PM
Posting in the public domain, such as on a web site , is deemed as publishing, and some publishers indeed won't touch a work that has already been in the public domain in such a manner, which is why I always suggest to people to only submit a portion or a chapter or two of their works if they wish to sell them. In some instances, where stories have been sold after they've been posted here, the publisher requests they be removed. But, in a lot of instances, publishers can't be bothered with works that have already been published on the Net as the first rights may have already been compromised.

milamber_reborn
August 12th, 2002, 02:00 AM
I'd suggest retracting all online posts of stories, then just go ahead and send out your stories. Unless they frequent sites like this, they wouldn't know.

Shanoncia
August 14th, 2002, 06:07 PM
So if you want to get a short story published, or some poetry is it a no-no to let the friends of sffworld have a gander first? :confused:

juzzza
August 14th, 2002, 06:15 PM
Send it to them by PM if you want an opinion, but leave it off the site if you think it will get published.

:)

Shanoncia
August 14th, 2002, 06:21 PM
Yes, I suppose I should have though of that myself eh! It just sounds nice when talking to people to say, Oh yes I've had this and that published!

daigoro
August 14th, 2002, 06:43 PM
We also remove stories/poems whenever people ask us to do so, don't know if that really solves the problem though, but several people have had their stories removed because they have been sold in the past.

Shanoncia
August 14th, 2002, 06:50 PM
That sounds like a logical solution. :)