SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

juzzza
August 11th, 2002, 01:48 PM
“That’s not a Wolf,” said the eyes, “It’s much bigger than a Wolf.”
“We never said it was a wolf,” replied the ears, “We said it sounded like a wolf.”
“Well it isn’t a Wolf.”
“Don’t tell us what it isn’t, tell us what it is,” the ears said.
“I can’t see clearly, it’s too dark. The moon can’t penetrate the branches of all these damn trees. Can you smell anything?”
“You must be kidding?” replied the nose, “I am the weakest of the senses.”
“You never used to be,” interrupted memory, “You used to be the strongest sense, but over the years the body has come to believe what it can see and hear.”
“That is fascinating, but can we ascertain exactly what this thing is please and if it poses a threat to the body,” said impatience.
“It’s definitely watching us, just waiting in the shadows. I can see it moving.”
“It’s hunting us,” said knowledge, “It must be a predator, deciding if we’re an easy target or not. If we make the wrong move, it will pounce.”
“It’s a Wolf. I know it. No, no… It’s a Bear, just woken up and hungry, a man killer,” screamed paranoia.
“It could be something else… Something worse,” said imagination.
“Be quiet, all of you. I can’t hear,” demanded the ears.
“I am just saying,” continued imagination, “It could be a demon, something from the depths of hell, hunting for the flesh of a mortal to increase its power to enable it to devour the world.”
“You aren’t helping,” said the brain remaining calm, “You are the least helpful in this kind of situation imagination, now keep quiet.”
“Let’s run away or hide,” pleaded fear.
“No, let’s fight. We can defeat it whatever it is,” claimed courage.
“Move closer,” said curiosity, “We must find out what it is.”
“Not so fast,” said caution, “We should wait until we know a little more before we make a decision.”
“If we wait, it could be too late,” said impatience.
“Hey! That rhymed,” giggled humour.
“I know,” said the brain, “Get the mouth to ask it what it wants.”
“Why not,” said sarcasm, “While you’re there mouth, ask it if it fancies taking in a movie on Saturday night.”
“Everyone pipe down. The mouth is going to say something,” said the brain.
“Who is there?” shouted mouth. Nothing.
“It moved,” said the eyes.
“I heard it,” said the ears.
“Actually, I can smell something, something rotten,” said the nose.
“Its last meal,” said imagination, “Still fresh, hanging from the creature’s massive jaws.”
“Run,” said fear.
“Fight,” said courage.
“Oh my goodness. It is a Bear I can see it. A big one too. Oh no, it’s standing on its back legs.”
“I can hear it growling,” said the ears.
“I can smell its breath,” said the nose.
“Right. We’re going to go with fear and run like hell,” said the brain.
“Wait,” demanded knowledge, “If we run, it will chase after us and kill us… Oh wait, that’s just for grizzly bears. What colour is it?”
“It’s too dark,” trembled the eyes.
“Come on!” shouted impatience.
“Calm down,” demanded reason, “Eyes, look around and tell us what you see.”
“I can see some fallen branches to the left and some rocks to the right. Behind the bear are some more trees and behind us is the stream.”
“Imagination, we need you and your brother creativity,” said the brain.
“Oh I see. Now you need us do you? A moment ago I was the least useful in a situation like this. Remember?” said imagination with contempt.
“I remember,” said memory.
“We’re sorry,” said regret.
“If we dance and shout we will frighten it away,” said ignorance.
“It’s worth a shot,” piped up wishful thinking.
“Where the hell is common sense,” demanded the brain.
“He disappeared the moment fear turned up,” replied regret.
“We’re finished,” moaned pessimism, “It’s over.”
“We’ll go down fighting,” shouted courage.
“Wait,” shouted creativity, “I have an idea.”
“We’re saved,” cried hope.
“We’ll see,” said the brain.
“Everyone calm down, this is what we shall do,” said common sense who had returned now that courage, creativity and hope had silenced fear, pessimism and ignorance.

Miriamele
August 11th, 2002, 05:11 PM
Very Clever!!

But what happens next??

juzzza
August 11th, 2002, 05:12 PM
Nothing...

Shef
August 11th, 2002, 06:15 PM
I must say that this is a rather entertaining bit. I really enjoyed imagination's dialouge. Just out of curiosity, where was common sense? Once again, bravo.

Erebus
August 11th, 2002, 06:17 PM
To be fair, Juzzza, I should also remind you that we prefer not to post stories of a large ilk on the forum boards. Rather, we suggest they be submitted or linked from a web site etc. The one you have posted is obviously not over large, but to be consistent with what we have told other members, I have to remind you as well. :)

juzzza
August 11th, 2002, 06:19 PM
Sorry Big 'E' does that mean you are going to delete me:(

Or let me get away with it because I am so cute? :)

juzzza
August 11th, 2002, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Shef
I must say that this is a rather entertaining bit. I really enjoyed imagination's dialouge. Just out of curiosity, where was common sense? Once again, bravo.

“Where the hell is common sense,” demanded the brain.
“He disappeared the moment fear turned up,” replied regret.
“We’re finished,” moaned pessimism, “It’s over.”
“We’ll go down fighting,” shouted courage.
“Wait,” shouted creativity, “I have an idea.”
“We’re saved,” cried hope.
“We’ll see,” said the brain.
“Everyone calm down, this is what we shall do,” said common sense who had returned now that courage, creativity and hope had silenced fear, pessimism and ignorance.

Erebus
August 11th, 2002, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by juzzza
Sorry Big 'E' does that mean you are going to delete me:(

That's okay, Juzzza, and it's nothing personal, but we have had to post similar reminders the last few days so it's only fair to be consistent. And no, the post has not been deleted.

Shanoncia
October 1st, 2002, 07:38 PM
Justin Thorne! You never cease to amaze me... that story was amazingly written. The creativity and wit is outstanding. I like where it ended to... nicely done!I mean... Amazingly done!:D

You should submit that to a magazine, I'll bet they'll pay a fancy price.

I'm proud to know some one as talented as you, and I hope you can help me with myown amateur writings in the future. :)

juzzza
October 1st, 2002, 07:42 PM
Shannon Louise Myers!!!

You never cease to make me smile, although you may be bias eh. And unfortunately some mags pay per word so I am a bit dumb writing something 700 words long eh!!!

Anyone suggest a mag who pay lump-sums regardless of length.