SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2

kassimir funk
August 12th, 2002, 06:00 AM
Hey fellahs,

Long time no post for me. It is with some regret that I see that our little writing workshop endeavor has fallen apart. Anyhow, I was wondering what you fellahs have been doing.

More importantly, I was wondering if you fellahs were still writing. If you are, or if you have already finished your books, I was wondering if you wouldn't care to try your hands at a little more in depth look at one another's works. As in, reading the whole darn thing. At a much slower pace of course.

Let me know if you fellahs are interested.

This offer is exclusively for the three of you for the time being.

K-Funk

Oh Yeah....enazwo... you too!!!!!! :)

estranghero
August 13th, 2002, 01:09 AM
Hey Funk, long time no post... :)

As far as I know alucard is still around as well as enazwo (he of the many-faced avatars :D ). On the other hand, Nathan is doing work for another site but every now and then he drops by. (Not sure if I can post his site here so email me or alucard on the address. Alucard drops by more frequently there also. You might like it since it's an active writing place courtesy of Nate. ;) )

As for writing, not much since I've been busy doing work for the office... and other things (stupid computers). Though my brain's been percolating, cooking, so not everything's on a standstill. But I'm game with your suggestion though. If I can't write, might as well as critique, eh? :p

Nathan Carter
August 13th, 2002, 06:10 AM
~Casually drops in~

Well, well, well... if it isn't Tenacious Funk... I thought you may have drank the water in Mexico and croaked or something...

Anyway... yeah... I don't quite have the time I used to have... My online activities are somewhat limited to The Writers Association (http://groups.msn.com/TheWritersAssociation/_homepage.msnw?pgmarket=en-us), but thus is life. You really should stop by... I enlisted the aid of experienced and published writers to learn all us slack jawed yokel's how to make them words go together... I have learned worlds in the last few months.

As for reading entire novels... I'm afraid I am not comfortable with making that kind of commitment... I'm still young... playing the field... but you can post sections of your work at The Writers Association (http://groups.msn.com/TheWritersAssociation/_homepage.msnw?pgmarket=en-us) and gain valuable insight from a rather perceptive group of up and comers. There is also a workshop full of different exercises that will improve your skill and tone your literary muscles...

The novel workshop we had was helpful though... I'm glad we did it... I only regret that it fell apart right as poor enazwo and gabador stepped up to the plate. They were likely the most enthusiastic and committed, and I feel that we let them down somewhat... they did both post their pieces on the other site however, hopefully that supplemented the loss a bit.

kassimir funk
August 14th, 2002, 03:14 AM
The boys are back in Toooowwwwn!!!!

So how y'all been?

Coincidentally, I DID drink the water and paid a high price for it. But hey, a little disentary goes a long way towards making a writer. Amoebas= free time to be creative.

Anyhow, I brought up the subject because I ended up darn near finishing my book. At the moment it's at approx. 450 pgs. All in all I'm pretty happy with it thus far. Thing is I want to get some outside feedback on it. I want to see what people think of the story as a whole. See if they like where it's going and so forth.

Of course, I would gladly return the favor to you fellahs. I'm still kinda curious as to what the deal is with the dude with the white revolver. Hmmmmmmmmmmm. Believe it or not that story actually inspired this rather interesting dream I had about warewolves in western times. (or maybe it was the medication)

I'd like to get some rapport going on the subject. Like where you fellahs are in your books/works? Have you tried sending your work out yet?(to publishers that is)

Ideas? Comments? Donations?

Da Funk

P.S. totally off the subject but... I watched episode 2 while I was in Mexico and thought it was every bit as horrendous as the first one. But then......... I watched it dubbed in spanish. I have to say.... it was ten times better in spanish than english. Whoever is writing the dialogue for the new star wars characters should be shot!

Erebus
August 14th, 2002, 03:30 AM
Hi guys...all of you can send stuff to our Submit (http://www.sffworld.com/submit/) pages as well - stories, excerpts, synopsis etc. There is provision for rating of the work and a feedback option as well.

I thought the workshop you set up was a great idea, and with all the new members we have now, perhaps you should try it again. Obviously, as mentioned in the past, the forum topics are not for the posting of large works or excerpts etc. :) (Just in case I confused anyone there!)

Also, don't forget our new Writing Contest starting on September 1st!

Erebus
August 14th, 2002, 07:12 AM
As a PS to my post above, I would just like to comment on the relationship between SFFW and the Writers' Assoc. There have been many posts here at SFFW that have included invitations and links etc. to the WA site, which, in the spirit of aiding new writers has been welcomed and allowed. However, I feel compelled to comment that a recent thread at the WA site has attacked SFFW somewhat, even accusing the staff here of being closed-minded, along with some other comments that can only be described as unfriendly.

Nathan, I'm sure this was just a rare anomaly and not the general flavour of comment about SFFW by your members. Afterall, it would be a very sad thing indeed for people to follow links from here to your site only to find threads bagging our own. Certainly not a very professional situation, IMO, nor in the spirit of the reciprocal support we have shown here. :)

Nathan Carter
August 14th, 2002, 08:06 AM
Dear, dear Neil...

From the start there has been friendly relations between SFFW and TWA because so many of the same people are involved. I have displayed both you and Gary Wassner in our "Featured Novels" section to promote sales and encourage your efforts... There is a permanent link to SFFW in our suggested places to submit... I have often referred people to this site when I thought they could benefit from or enjoy it.

The thread you dug up was a month old... What can I say? They relate opinions to something else everyone has... that I imagine will never change. It is not in my interest to censor people for expressing their opinion... though sometimes in communities like ours it gets excessive, and that is exactly what needs to be done. However, in this case... I think some people were just blowing off steam at frustration they experienced in your forum. I don't believe ill intent was at play, and I can assure you that if I did think so I would have intervened.

I felt Lawson defended himself well, and then Alucard set his feelings straight... and of course Al is a faithful participator here, so I know he wasn't trying to deter people from SFFW. All in all the thread went dead and I left it to rot. Obviously at least one person in that thread spoke out of ignorance, she is no longer with us... and perhaps the harshest comments came from none other than William Rieser... and as I'm sure you know... when he has an opinion, he shoots first and asks questions later... but again, with over 10 articles and short stories available here, he is not trying to defame SFFW... but perhaps venting his frustrations at certain people.

You have my sincere apologies if you felt that SFFW was misrepresented... we love you guys... and always will.

Nathan

Erebus
August 14th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Thanks, Nathan! :)

kassimir funk
August 14th, 2002, 04:08 PM
And the world is a happy place once more. :p

Are the submission guidelines for this competition the same as before? 1000 word limit?

Da Funk

P.S. still waiting for questions or comments, or donations

Aidan Aasarin
August 14th, 2002, 04:15 PM
Heh. I would be interested in the workshop again if we can get enough interest. And of course I am more than willing to look at your novel. :)