PDA

View Full Version : Kindle.....

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Queen Aurora
June 3rd, 2011, 11:24 AM
Ok....I am a complete and utter technophobe, I struggle with Hubby's smartphone and freak out when it rings ;/

But I love to crochet so even though I hate to admit and how much I love books and turning pages etc I can't do the 2 at once, so because I have been crocheting like craaazy reading has been sidelined and I missing it but have so many crochet project ideas in my head I can't focus on reading. For now I am going to set aside crochet and read for a bit but I wanna do both....so.....what's a kindle like? Would even dumb ol' me get on with it?

Ta xxx

Loerwyn
June 3rd, 2011, 11:28 AM
Would even dumb ol' me get on with it?
Well, you seem to manage posting on a forum alright, so I don't see why not. If one of your friends has one, see if you can have a quick go to make sure, though. It's a lot of money for what it is.

You've mentioned across the forum that money's not the most available thing in your life, so I'd actually recommend just getting a book stand that can hold the book open for you. It'd be a lot cheaper than getting a Kindle, and you're less likely to sit on a book stand or find your child has somehow deleted all your books from it.

Queen Aurora
June 3rd, 2011, 11:47 AM
Well, you seem to manage posting on a forum alright, so I don't see why not. If one of your friends has one, see if you can have a quick go to make sure, though. It's a lot of money for what it is.

You've mentioned across the forum that money's not the most available thing in your life, so I'd actually recommend just getting a book stand that can hold the book open for you. It'd be a lot cheaper than getting a Kindle, and you're less likely to sit on a book stand or find your child has somehow deleted all your books from it.

As sad as this may come across and I don't need any sympathy but I don't have friends, I am too weird and most people bore me.

But you have given me an idea....Child can become stand and turn pages for me! Problem solved....:)

A bookstand like everything else in my home, long and not stuck down does become a weapon especially when they are play fighting....I should take a picture of my uplighter lamp, it doesn't look so pretty now... A kindle I can put away uness it is unbelievably large ?!?!

And money isn't a big deal when my stuff sells :P but in summer blankets and cardis don't sell too well, come winter I won't be able to keep up! And money tends to go on shoes......:/

Loerwyn
June 3rd, 2011, 11:53 AM
I'm just thinking that (I'm sorry if you think I'm thinking for you) a bookstand would be perhaps a bit more practical. Surely just a "Don't touch mummy's bookstand" would suffice with your kids, anyway? You don't have to secure it, of course, but if a little bit of weight was added to it then maybe your kids wouldn't think about braining each other with it.

You could always have a little table/desk or dresser with the bookstand in front of you, a source of light near by (LED lamp, for example) and that'd work quite well, I reckon.

Kindles aren't that big, I've seen two (Though not held them) and they seemed to be between the size of a large-print book and a trade paperback, although obviously nowhere near as thick. I'm not sure how sturdy they are, though. The cynic in me wonders if they're actually rather flimsy.

Queen Aurora
June 3rd, 2011, 12:00 PM
I'm just thinking that (I'm sorry if you think I'm thinking for you) a bookstand would be perhaps a bit more practical. Surely just a "Don't touch mummy's bookstand" would suffice with your kids, anyway? You don't have to secure it, of course, but if a little bit of weight was added to it then maybe your kids wouldn't think about braining each other with it.

You could always have a little table/desk or dresser with the bookstand in front of you, a source of light near by (LED lamp, for example) and that'd work quite well, I reckon.

Kindles aren't that big, I've seen two (Though not held them) and they seemed to be between the size of a large-print book and a trade paperback, although obviously nowhere near as thick. I'm not sure how sturdy they are, though. The cynic in me wonders if they're actually rather flimsy.

I might go to a shop and test them out.... See if theyw ould be up to my test :/

You have sweet view of my kids...seriously they are little horrors!

A bookstand is a no go, not only do I have to contend with the kids killing each other, I am the clumsiest person ever and after passing out and after hurting myself numerous times already this year more obstacles ain't a good idea...

I might just have to come up with a way of turning the page whilst crocheting, might have to read slower :O

Thanks!