PDA

View Full Version : 1980's decade novel with a skeleton in a spacesuit on the cover

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

tunnelinthesky
June 6th, 2011, 07:19 PM
If this description rings a bell, please let me know. The story is built around a present-day discovery on the Moon of a human skeleton found in a spacesuit. The remains are subsequently found to be tens of thousands of years old, and then the story shifts to being told from the perspective of the man before he died, who he was, and, of course, how he finally died. I think the author was of the military sci fi school. Can't remember either the author or the book title, but the story itself keeps returning to mind.

Jim diGriz
June 6th, 2011, 07:27 PM
James P. Hogan's "Inherit the Stars", perhaps?

Hobbit
June 6th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Agree with Jim:

http://img1.fantasticfiction.co.uk/images/n1/n9396.jpg

Mark

tunnelinthesky
June 6th, 2011, 07:35 PM
That's the one! You guys are amazing; talk about fast! I really came to the right place. :) That book has been bugging me for years, but oddly enough, it didn't occur to me until yesterday to check out a sci fi forum. Now I know. Thanks again!

Hobbit
June 6th, 2011, 07:39 PM
Thank you: We aim to please! :)

It is annoying when something like that bugs you for a long time...

Well done, Jim though, for getting there first.

Mark

Jim diGriz
June 7th, 2011, 08:10 AM
Update to say that should you be interested in rereading it, it's available in the Baen Books free library.

http://www.webscription.net/p-584-inherit-the-stars.aspx

mylinar
June 7th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Thank you: We aim to please! :)

It is annoying when something like that bugs you for a long time...

Well done, Jim though, for getting there first.

Mark

You know what is REALLY annoying. It is the fact that I have (I guess had) this book and one day decide to reread it. After taking every single book off of my book shelf and checking them twice it does not seem to be in my possession anymore. I don't throw books away, and few friend are interested in my stuff so it is rare to lend a book out. Apparently it fell into a localized wormhole and is likely on some alien planet now and posing a scientific conundrum for them. :)

tunnelinthesky
June 7th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Sadly, I can top that. Some years after high-school, I packed up boxes of my sci fi collection and gave them to friends for Christmas and such. What was I thinking!?:eek:

I've recovered quite a few over the years, but I'm still missing about a hundred I'll never see again. Since then, I'll buy a book on Amazon for someone and have it delivered to them rather than lend them any book of my own. People simply never return books unless you get a contract signed in blood.

Good luck on that missing copy. Have you looked between the mattress and the headboard? :)

tunnelinthesky
June 7th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Update to say that should you be interested in rereading it, it's available in the Baen Books free library.

http://www.webscription.net/p-584-inherit-the-stars.aspx

Great suggestion, Jim! Sorry though; too slow this time :). I ordered a copy on Amazon last night as soon as you guys clued me in. Thanks again.