PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Book Series from 1980s, Plot Somewhat Like "Terra Nova"

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

dudelette
June 12th, 2011, 07:43 PM
Back in the early 1980's, my late husband read a series of novels (four or five, I think) about a group of humans who travel back in time and establish a civilization in the Cretaceous or earlier (maybe). I believe the people were very wealthy, using their money to escape a future Earth that was in terrible shape, and they built magnificent mansions.

I believe the author was British; the series took place in ancient Europe. I never got into them, but I do remember reading one scene where one of the main characters watches as the ocean breaks through what is now the Pillars of Hercules and begins filling what will become the Mediterranean Sea. The books were all MMPB with the usual lurid covers of the time.

Reading about the new TV series, Terra Nova, tickled this memory for me, and now I'm curious if anyone else remembers these books.

Thank you to everyone who takes the time to read this.

Jim diGriz
June 12th, 2011, 09:41 PM
There are a few inconsistencies with what you remember but I think that you may be thinking of Julian May's 'Saga of Pliocene Exile'.

dudelette
June 13th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Thank you! That's the series.