PDA

View Full Version : comic "newbie" looking for recommendations

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

athenix
August 14th, 2002, 08:26 PM
It has been recommended to me that I begin to read some sci-fi/fantasy/horror comic books, that I would enjoy it, so I'm wondering where to begin. I'm interested in some new series, or stand-alone comics, as I'm not terribly keen on the idea of having to backtrack and read everything that came before the latest (I'm lazy, and a college student so there isn't all that much time). Just looking for a new series that I could begin reading then continue as new ones are released.

Any suggestions?

Thonoir
August 14th, 2002, 11:45 PM
Not looking for something in which you have to backtrack? Hell..... Most comics now are ongoings. Marvel's X-Statix is a really fun read (I usually cant stand Marvel) as is DC's Young Justice. Both are ongoings but are very easy to hop on to. If its the middle of a storyline, you'll pick it up after a couple of issues no problem, if not in that very issue. Also check out Crossgen's books. They usually work in story arcs with hopping on places and each book has a short summation on the interior cover to help newcomers. Sojourn is a good fantasy title. Then there's Crux, Mystic and a whole lot more. If you can find them, the indie comic Sleeping Dragons is a good fantasy read. It's out rarely but there are 5 back issues which are a lot of fun to read. I could go on but I think I'll just turn into a rambling fanboy :D

Keyoke
August 15th, 2002, 01:23 AM
Well, here's a few title I recommend..

Hawkman - Just started, only 6 issues out so far. Pretty good story, just good comic. NIce art, good writing.. I like it alot.

Flash - It's wrapping up a story line, you'd probably be able to get the few back issues so you have a complete story. Excellent art/story.

Alias - 13 issues out right now, you would need to back track a few issues, or at least, go back to the beginning of the new story arc. It's a crime noir title from marvel. Excellent.

Powers - Same writer from above. Crime comic, but, in the world of hero's. Published by Image, again, you'd need to grab back issue. Or better yet, go out and buy the Trade Paperback of the first 8 issues. Super amazin read. One of those read you would dwindle a hour or so in the afternoon reading. GREAT series, by far one of the best out there.

tpetty
August 15th, 2002, 11:51 PM
Why only consider new series? There are so many older comics, and many comics from the 80's - 90's can be had in the quarter bins. Some great olds series, that you could read cheaply, include Scout (Tim Truman), Dreadstar, Grimjack, Warlord, Alien Worlds - these all have a fantasy or sci-fi slant.

Nero
August 16th, 2002, 09:50 PM
I would reccomend any Marvel comic books, except for the fact that in all their comics the heros talk to themselves way too much. It gets a little tedious after some time. Other than that, Marvel has great superheros and villians. I, personally, enjoy Spiderman. But dont tell me I just like it cuz of the movie, but I was a big fan of Spidey way before the movie. Don't do the horror comics quite yet though, start out with some good ol' action fantasy. You'll like it! :)

Walker
August 22nd, 2002, 03:07 PM
Read Powers.
Read Hellboy.
Read Alias.

helenf
September 2nd, 2002, 06:32 PM
I'd go for some recent trade paperbacks so that you know you've got at least all the issues from one particular story arc (hopefully).

I'm really enjoying Alan Moore's Top Ten series (crime/sf) which has been going for only a relatively short time. If you can't find the issues then book one at least should be available as a book.

Warren Ellis' Planetary is also fairly fantastic (SF archeology) and recentish.

Gaiman's Sandman (literary and fantastical) series is older, and there are 10 volumes of the trade paperback to collect! But, at least you know you won't be missing out on newer ones as it's finished.

There's many many others - unfortunately I haven't been to a comic book recently enough to know them, as I tend to only buy the collected volumes now as they're cheaper and seem to last longer.

Helen