PDA

View Full Version : SF Movies and TV Shows...

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Shehzad
August 22nd, 2000, 01:52 AM
Well, I live in a country where we don't have access to the latest TV shows and good SF books can be rather difficult to find. So here are my comments on various SF TV shows I have seen and good SF movies.

TV SHOWS:
The X-Files - OK, it's stretching a bit, but I've only seen the first 4 seasons, and they're GREAT.

Babylon 5 - Now, I went to England for a couple of months back in '95 and caught a handful of episodes of I think the 1st season. I was hooked, but after a period of withdrawal, am left wanting to see more.

Quantum Leap - An oldie but a goodie. Again, I haven't seen the whole series, but what I've seen, I've liked.

Total Recall 2070 - This reminds me very much of the Elijah Baley/Daneel Olivaw books by Asimov. It has a great dark feel to it. I saw almost the whole season.

Earth Final Conflict - Again, a nice feel to it. I have heard the 2nd season wasn't that good, but then, I haven't seen it.

MOVIES:
OK here are my favourites:
Blade Runner: The Director's Cut
Contact (So much better than the book...)
Gattaca (there is no gene for the human spirit!)
The Matrix (it rocks!)
Star Wars (the grand-daddy of space opera)
Alien (classic sf/horror)
and a list of honourable mentions...

Any recommendations for the movies, and thoughts on my choices?

[This message has been edited by Shehzad (edited August 28, 2000).]

Lady Fox
August 23rd, 2000, 04:02 PM
What, no Star Trek TV shows? Have you ever watched any of the "sequels" to the original TV series, or any of the movies? I really enjoyed The Next Generation and Voyager, and I liked all the Start Trek movies except for Star Trek I and IV.

Shehzad
August 24th, 2000, 01:27 AM
Star Trek... well, I rather erratically watched a few episodes of the first 3 seasons - didn't hold it in too high regard though. I certainly thought that Deep Space 9 was cool, but unfortunately no more than a handful of episodes were ever shown. Also, I had seen Babylon 5, and DS9 paled in comparison.

I haven't seen any of the Star Trek Movies, though. So are they any good, seeing that I'm not a big Star Trek fan.

Lady Fox
August 24th, 2000, 02:43 PM
Star Trek II was really good from an action and special effects standpoint. Star Trek IV was very funny; it is the only one of the Trek movies that I would call a comedy. The Next Generation movies were pretty good too. I especially enjoyed the last one released - Star Trek Insurrection.

Road-Killer
August 25th, 2000, 07:04 AM
One of the bes sci-fi shows around today would have to be Stargate SG-1.

Merry
August 25th, 2000, 09:37 AM
Yes I agree about stargate - the best. I enjoyed the film as well.
The B5 series were brill up until they killed the shadows - bit I (IMO) felt they lost the plot a little therafter.

Merry
August 25th, 2000, 09:37 AM
Yes I agree about stargate - the best. I enjoyed the film as well.
The B5 series were brill up until they killed the shadows - bit I (IMO) felt they lost the plot a little therafter.

Lady Fox
August 25th, 2000, 03:55 PM
Darn, how could I forget about Star Gate?! I love that show and think it is one of the most well developed scifi shows on the market today. I like the way they tie together each season with a true cliffhanger.

Shehzad
August 28th, 2000, 12:21 AM
Stargate... I haven't seen the TV show but the movie was just OK. I would have included it in my "honourable mentions" list alongside stuff like "The Fifth Element" and the suchlike. Another movie which shoul be on the list is probably "Aliens"

Hey, how's "Battlefield Earth"??

Lady Fox
August 28th, 2000, 02:12 AM
TERRIBLE!!!
Battlefield Earth has got to be one of the worst movies I have ever seen. It was so far from the book that you almost didn't recognize the connection. I guess that's what happens when you try to put 1000 pages of well developed scifi lit into 2.5 hours of movie. It just can't be done. I was very disappointed.