PDA

View Full Version : Been bugging me for days- dystopia, AI, cyborgs, et al

SFFWorld.com
Home - Discussion Forums - News - Reviews - Interviews

New reviews, interviews and news

New in the Discussion Forum

tensai
August 12th, 2011, 12:04 AM
Help, this one is killing me. It's a fairly recent book (or books) I believe, of which I remember fragments.

These include a girl who works on a farm at the beginning. Her thumb/hand turns a color, which appears to be a genetic timer indicating that she is to be appropriated by the authoritarian govt. We learn she has an accelerated nervous system and is a prodigy (engineered?). Her uncle/father/? ends up hacking the subconscious of the administrator responsible for her collection, making him subliminally aware of spiders on his body and causing him to slap at himself, without being aware why. They use this hack to get the girl released.

It turns out the company is working on AIs. The father/uncle/? live in a bunker beneath the farm and are working to subvert the company. I vaguely remember that near the end she protects several people from a nuclear blast by using her accelerated nervous system to somehow form a shield. A major plot element is insecurity of a cyborg relative to a true AI under development. I believe the cyborg has gone insane for some reason.

I'm sure I've mis-remembered plenty of details, but if anybody can figure out the author and/or title from this, I very much appreciate it!

Mookishboy
February 14th, 2012, 03:38 PM
It is
Cusp by Robert A Metzger (http://www.amazon.com/Cusp-Robert-Metzger/dp/0441012418)

tensai
February 15th, 2012, 06:01 AM
That is exactly it! Thanks, been bugging me for several months... now I'm off to re-read it.